Microsoft today released a new Dev version of Microsoft Edge. Insiders are receiving Microsoft Edge Dev 82.0.446.0, which is as expected introduces new features and general improvements.
What's new in Microsoft Edge Dev 82.0.446.0
- Added a capability to Guided Switch to ask to switch to a work or school profile when work or school content is being opened in a personal profile.
- Added better drag and drop support for Collections.
- Added support for more websites to properly add price and rating information to a product that’s been added to a Collection.
- Added support for the Native Window Occlusion management policy from upstream Chromium.
- Added the option to the Manage Search Engines management policy to allow search provider discovery.
- Added improved messaging to accounts that aren’t able to sync to explain why they can’t.
- Enabled the new Fluent designs for webpage controls like the calendar picker or dropdown on Mac.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where high CPU usage is seen when idle.
- Fixed an issue where showing the “Move to another window” menu sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Fixed a browser crash when syncing favorites.
- Fixed an issue where opening an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key when typing in the Address Bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix fails to play with error D7356 on certain devices.
- Fixed a crash when playing the surf game.
- Fixed an issue where dragging a tab with a PDF document out of a window and into its own window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash on launch for 32-bit Edge when Windows Information Protection is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work when certain VPN extensions are installed.
- Improved the reliability of updating after Edge hasn’t been updated for a while.
- Fixed one cause of audio being randomly muted.
- Fixed an issue where address bar history is sometimes not properly deleted when the browser is set to delete browsing data on close.
- Fixed an issue where using the favorites deduplication tool causes the option to show only the favicon to get reset for some favorites.
- Fixed an issue where dialogs that are opened from IE mode tabs appear behind the window.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the Taskbar icon for a window that has a dialog open in an IE mode tab doesn’t also bring the dialog to the forefront.
- Fixed an issue where languages in Settings can’t be selected to “Offer to translate pages in this language”.
- Fixed an issue where expected popups on certain websites don’t work when Tracking Prevention is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to reset the zoom level to 100% doesn’t work in Immersive Reader.
- Fixed an issue where clicking shortcuts on the Taskbar to PWAs sometimes launches a regular Edge window instead of a PWA window.
- Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes/dots drawn on PDFs can’t be erased.
- Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes or dots sometimes aren’t properly drawn on PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where users can’t save payment cards locally because the option to do so is missing.
- Fixed an issue where internal pages like Extensions or Favorites sometimes can’t be scrolled.
- Fixed an issue where PDF files aren’t opened in an external application when the setting to do so is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where DirectInvoke doesn’t work when SmartScreen is disabled.
- Fixed an issue where a message saying you’re required to sign in using a work or school account sometimes appears even when you already are.
- Fixed an issue where some products that are added to a Collection don’t have the proper number of ratings.
- Fixed an issue where windows opened via Guided Switch sometimes don’t have any UI (tabs, address bar, etc.)
- Reduced the number of times you need to sign into a website after it’s been moved to another profile via Guided Switch.
- Reduced the number of prompts to save a password when the field being saved is a CVV for a payment card.
- Reduced the number of times an item in a Collection has no image associated with it.
- Improved the first-launch experience of Application Guard after taking an OS upgrade.
- Improved messaging on ARM64 to explain why Flash isn’t available on that platform.
- Improved the color of the title bar for PWAs.
- Removed the ability to add all tabs from an InPrivate or Guest window to a Collection.
- Removed support for the Share feature on versions of Windows prior to Windows 10.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time.
- Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
Microsoft Edge is now a Chromium-based browser with a number of exclusive features like Read Aloud and services tied to Microsoft instead of Google.
The stable version of Microsoft Edge Chromium is available to the public for a while. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices in Edge Stable 80. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7, which has recently reached its end of support. Check out Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
For pre-release versions, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. Microsoft is going to support Edge Chromium on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, alongside macOS, Linux (coming in the future) and mobile apps on iOS and Android.
Microsoft Edge Roadmap: History Sync This Summer, Linux Support
Actual Edge versions
The actual versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
- Stable Channel: 80.0.361.66
- Beta Channel: 81.0.416.28
- Dev Channel: 82.0.446.0
- Canary Channel: 82.0.451.0
You will find many Edge tricks and features covered in the following post:
Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
Also, see the following updates.
- Add or Remove Feedback Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable or Disable Automatic Profile Switching In Microsoft Edge
- The List of Internal Page URLs in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Picture-in-Picture (PIP) for Global Media Controls in Edge
- Change Font Size and Style in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Chromium Now Allows Making it Default Browser From Settings
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Rolls Out Edge Chromium to Release Preview Insiders
- How to Show Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Share Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Frame Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Image Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Extension Syncing
- Microsoft Announces Performance Boost In Edge Chromium Preview
- Edge 80 Stable Features Native ARM64 Support
- Edge DevTools Are Now Available in 11 Languages
- Disable First Run Experience in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Specify Default Profile to Open Links for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Receives Remove Duplicate Favorites Option
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Collections in Microsoft Edge Stable
- Install Google Chrome Themes in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Opening Selected Text in Immersive Reader
- Show or Hide Collections Button in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Won’t Automatically Install For Enterprise Users
- Microsoft Edge Receives New Customization Options for New Tab Page
- Change Default Download Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- Enable QR Code Generator for Page URL in Edge Chromium
- Edge 80.0.361.5 Hits the Dev Channel with Native ARM64 Builds
- Edge Chromium Extensions Web Site Is Now Opened for Developers
- Prevent Microsoft Edge Chromium From Installing via Windows Update
- Edge Chromium Receives Pin To Taskbar Wizard
- Microsoft Enables Collections in Canary and Dev Edge with Improvements
- Edge Chromium Has Got New Tab Page Improvements in Canary
- Edge Receives Colorful Title Bars for PWAs
- Microsoft Reveals How Tracking Prevention Works in Edge Chromium
- Edge Receives Tight PWA Integration with Windows Shell
- Edge Chromium Will Sync Your Extensions Soon
- Edge Chromium Introduces Insecure Content Blocking Feature
- Enable Strict Tracking Prevention for InPrivate Mode in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Full Screen Window Frame Drop Down UI
- Edge Chromium for ARM64 Devices is Now Available for Testing
- Enable Classic Edge and Edge Chromium Running Side-by-Side
- Export Favorites to HTML File In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge for Linux is officially coming
- Edge Chromium Stable Is Coming on January 15, 2020 With New Icon
- Microsoft Edge Gets a New Logo
- Enable Dark Mode for All Sites in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Is Now Default PDF Reader, Here is How to Change This
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- and more
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: