MIcrosoft has started releasing Microsoft Edge Chromium as an update for Windows 10. The package is now available via Windows Update, reaching users of Windows 10 version 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004.
Once installed, the update replaces the classic Edge and hides it from the app list. Check out how to have them installed side-by-side.
The change affects only consumer editions of Windows 10. Enterprise user have to install it manually, or deploy it using MSI installers (see below).
You might now receive the package right now. It usually takes some hours (sometimes days) to deliver updates to users, as Windows Update uses the gradual update roll-out system.
Microsoft ships the update with the following key notes:
- Start menu pins, tiles, and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- Taskbar pins and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge will be pinned to the taskbar. If the current version of Microsoft Edge is already pinned, it will be replaced.
- The new Microsoft Edge will add a shortcut to the desktop. If the current version of Microsoft Edge already has a shortcut, it will be replaced.
- By default, most protocols that Microsoft Edge handles will be migrated to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The current version of Microsoft Edge will be hidden from UX surfaces in the OS. This includes settings, applications, and any file or protocol support dialog boxes.
- Attempts to start the current version of Microsoft Edge will redirect to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The First Run Experience (FRE) will auto-launch the first time that a device restarts after the new Microsoft Edge is installed.
- Data from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge (such as passwords, favorites, open tabs) will be available in the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge does not support the removal of this update.
Actual Edge Versions
- Stable Channel: 83.0.478.44
- Beta Channel: 84.0.522.11
- Dev Channel: 85.0.531.1
- Canary Channel: 85.0.535.0
Download Microsoft Edge
You can download pre-release Edge version for Insiders from here:
The stable version of the browser is available on the following page:
Microsoft Edge is now a Chromium-based browser with a number of exclusive features like Read Aloud and services tied to Microsoft instead of Google. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices in Edge Stable 80. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7, which has recently reached its end of support. Check out Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium and Edge Chromium latest roadmap. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
For pre-release versions, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. Microsoft is going to support Edge Chromium on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, alongside macOS, Linux (coming in the future) and mobile apps on iOS and Android. Windows 7 users will receive updates until July 15, 2021.
You will find many Edge tricks and features covered in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable PWA Integration with Windows Shell in Microsoft Edge
- Translate Pages in Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge
- Enable PWAs App Icon Shortcut Menu in Chrome and Edge
- Enable Quiet Notification Requests in Microsoft Edge
- Add a Profile in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Focus Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Share Page URL via QR Code in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Immersive Reader Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Reset Settings in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Import Data from Edge Legacy to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Picture Dictionary for Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge
- Create InPrivate Browsing Shortcut for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge
- Keep Cookies for Specific Sites When Close Microsoft Edge
- Set Custom Image as New Tab Page Background in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Dev 83.0.467.0 Allows Resuming Downloads
- Microsoft Edge is Getting Vertical Tabs, Password Monitor, Smart Copy, and more
- Classic Edge is Now Officially Called ‘Edge Legacy’
- Enable or Disable Site Favicons for Edge Address Bar Suggestions
- Edge Canary Receives Adverb Recognition for Grammar Tools
- Add All Open Tabs to Collection in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Now Includes a Link to Family Safety in Settings
- Change New Tab Page Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Feedback Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable or Disable Automatic Profile Switching In Microsoft Edge
- The List of Internal Page URLs in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Picture-in-Picture (PIP) for Global Media Controls in Edge
- Change Font Size and Style in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Chromium Now Allows Making it Default Browser From Settings
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Rolls Out Edge Chromium to Release Preview Insiders
- How to Show Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Share Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Frame Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Image Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Extension Syncing
- Microsoft Announces Performance Boost In Edge Chromium Preview
- Edge 80 Stable Features Native ARM64 Support
- Edge DevTools Are Now Available in 11 Languages
- Disable First Run Experience in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Specify Default Profile to Open Links for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Receives Remove Duplicate Favorites Option
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Collections in Microsoft Edge Stable
- Install Google Chrome Themes in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Opening Selected Text in Immersive Reader
- Show or Hide Collections Button in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Won’t Automatically Install For Enterprise Users
- Microsoft Edge Receives New Customization Options for New Tab Page
- Change Default Download Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- and more