Microsoft today released a new Dev build of Microsoft Edge, which is notable for the Ink and Tracking Prevention option synchronization, and also a button to make it default.
Today's Edge Dev 82.0.439.1 allows the user to change the size and color of ink for PDF annotations. There's also an option to sync your tracking prevention exceptions between your Edge browsers running on different devices.
Additionally, there is a button to make Edge your default browser. Also the browser can 'guess' the correct web site URL if you made a typo in the address bar.
What's new in Edge Dev 82.0.439.1
- Added the ability to customize the size and color of ink when annotating PDFs.
- Added a service to suggest an address to try when a navigation to a website fails due to a typo in the address.
- Added support for syncing Tracking Prevention exception settings.
- Added a button in Settings to make Edge the Default Browser.
- Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where selecting text in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where syncing favorites with the Stable channel of Edge sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where undoing an action taken by the Favorite deduplication tool crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where declining to save a password via the dialog sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where entering Immersive Reader sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where websites that are displayed in an IE mode tab crash the browser when they display a geolocation dialog.
- Fixed a browser crash when opening an IE mode website from a pinned shortcut.
- Fixed an issue where hitting F6 sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when using Collections.
- Fixed an issue where the act of deleting a Collection on one machine will crash the Collections pane on another machine if it’s open when the deletion is synced in.
- Fixed a crash when changing Settings.
- Fixed a crash on launch.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where some Appearance Settings are missing.
- After saving a PDF file from within the PDF viewer, the saved file will become the currently-viewed one instead of the original one.
- Fixed an issue where recently visited sites don’t appear in the address bar as search suggestions.
- Fixed an issue where the Windows dialog to choose an application to use when opening a particular type of file keeps opening in a loop when selecting Edge as the application.
- Fixed an issue where certain internal pages like the Favorites management page don’t respond to touch drag and drop.
- Fixed an issue where Windows Information Protection (WIP) sometimes doesn’t work when copying contents out of work or school-related Office documents.
- Fixed an issue where users of WIP can’t access work or school websites in InPrivate.
- Fixed an issue where playing video in fullscreen sometimes hides part of the video.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab when the Guided Switch dialog is open messes up the visuals of all other tabs.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the button to leave a dangerous website that’s been blocked by SmartScreen disables the back/forward buttons on the address bar.
- Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot sometimes fails to be taken.
- Fixed an issue where the “Multiple profile preferences” section appears in Settings when only a single browser profile exists.
- Fixed an issue where exporting Collections that have locations like hotels or restaurants in them to Excel results in data missing in the exported spreadsheet.
- Temporarily disabled WIP support on 32-bit Edge to prevent a crash on launch.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time.
- Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
The stable version of Microsoft Edge Chromium is available to the public for a while. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices in Edge Stable 80. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7, which has recently reached its end of support. Check out Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
For pre-release versions, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. Microsoft is going to support Edge Chromium on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, alongside macOS, Linux (coming in the future) and mobile apps on iOS and Android.
Microsoft Edge Roadmap: History Sync This Summer, Linux Support
Actual Edge versions
The actual versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
- Stable Channel: 80.0.361.66
- Beta Channel: 81.0.416.20
- Dev Channel: 82.0.439.1
- Canary Channel: 82.0.444.0
You will find many Edge tricks and features covered in the following post:
Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
Also, see the following updates.
- Edge Chromium Now Allows Making it Default Browser From Settings
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Rolls Out Edge Chromium to Release Preview Insiders
- How to Show Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Share Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Frame Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Image Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Extension Syncing
- Microsoft Announces Performance Boost In Edge Chromium Preview
- Edge 80 Stable Features Native ARM64 Support
- Edge DevTools Are Now Available in 11 Languages
- Disable First Run Experience in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Specify Default Profile to Open Links for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Receives Remove Duplicate Favorites Option
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Collections in Microsoft Edge Stable
- Install Google Chrome Themes in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Opening Selected Text in Immersive Reader
- Show or Hide Collections Button in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Won’t Automatically Install For Enterprise Users
- Microsoft Edge Receives New Customization Options for New Tab Page
- Change Default Download Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- Enable QR Code Generator for Page URL in Edge Chromium
- Edge 80.0.361.5 Hits the Dev Channel with Native ARM64 Builds
- Edge Chromium Extensions Web Site Is Now Opened for Developers
- Prevent Microsoft Edge Chromium From Installing via Windows Update
- Edge Chromium Receives Pin To Taskbar Wizard
- Microsoft Enables Collections in Canary and Dev Edge with Improvements
- Edge Chromium Has Got New Tab Page Improvements in Canary
- Edge Receives Colorful Title Bars for PWAs
- Microsoft Reveals How Tracking Prevention Works in Edge Chromium
- Edge Receives Tight PWA Integration with Windows Shell
- Edge Chromium Will Sync Your Extensions Soon
- Edge Chromium Introduces Insecure Content Blocking Feature
- Enable Strict Tracking Prevention for InPrivate Mode in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Full Screen Window Frame Drop Down UI
- Edge Chromium for ARM64 Devices is Now Available for Testing
- Enable Classic Edge and Edge Chromium Running Side-by-Side
- Export Favorites to HTML File In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge for Linux is officially coming
- Edge Chromium Stable Is Coming on January 15, 2020 With New Icon
- Microsoft Edge Gets a New Logo
- Enable Dark Mode for All Sites in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Is Now Default PDF Reader, Here is How to Change This
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- and more
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: