A new build of Microsoft Edge Chromium has landed in the Dev channel with a couple of new features, and also includes a number of general improvements. Let's see what has changed.
This new Edge Dev build comes with the favorites sync feature enabled gradually for Insiders. Microsoft warns that some machines may experience duplication-like behavior as the machines get back into a clean state, but that behavior shouldn’t persist, and any changes you make to your favorites should now sync properly.
- Added a feature to suggest URLs to visit that are similar to typed URLs that result in a failed navigation due to the fact that no webpage at the typed URL exists.
- Added a keyboard shortcut for starting Read Aloud (ctrl + shift + U).
- Added the ability to paste multiple items into a Collection at the same time.
- Added a dialog to tell users when a new data type is available to sync.
- Added support for Guided Switch to suggest going back to a personal profile when visiting links to certain non-work or school resources in a work or school profile.
- Added support for the Chromium management policy to disable web payment APIs in webpages.
- Added a management policy for disabling Microsoft Search for Business.
- Fixed a crash when syncing favorites.
- Fixed an issue where favorites that are synced between multiple machines sometimes get deleted from one machine when they’re edited on another.
- Fixed a crash when syncing Collections.
- Fixed a crash when sync is enabled.
- Fixed a crash when syncing with Edge mobile.
- Fixed a crash when clearing browsing data.
- Fixed an issue where Collections don’t sync properly.
- Fixed a crash when importing certain data from other browsers.
- Fixed an issue where Edge fails to install due to a crash in the installer.
- Fixed an issue where uninstalling Edge and re-installing the same channel with a lower version number causes Edge to no longer launch.
- Fixed an issue where enabling Tracking Prevention prevents some pages from ever loading, regardless of the level Tracking Prevention is set at.
- Fixed an issue where certain videos don’t load when Tracking Prevention is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention prevented users from logging into certain websites.
- Fixed an issue where navigation in new tabs sometimes fails, either showing an error that the connection is closed or crashing the tab, but subsequent navigations are sometimes okay.
- Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes a crash.
- Fixed an issue where Edge is no longer able to launch after uninstalling and reinstalling it.
- Fixed a crash for users who have certain anti-virus programs installed.
- Fixed an issue where Amazon Music fails to play.
- Fixed an issue where sharing a local file (for example, a PDF that’s been downloaded onto the machine) fails.
- Fixed a crash during shutdown.
- Fixed an issue where the policy to enable/disable printing headers and footers doesn’t work.
- Improved the reliability of installation.
- Fixed an issue where downloading files in IE mode tabs sometimes prevents the browser from being closed even after the downloads are completed.
- Fixed an issue where the user can’t remove pages from the list of pages to open when the browser first starts.
- Fixed an issue where removing a search provider in Settings sometimes results in the inability to add that same search provider again.
- Fixed an issue where the second page of the print preview dialog doesn’t render properly.
- Fixed an issue where unselecting categories to be synced during the First Run Experience sometimes results in those data types still being synced.
- Fixed an issue where the Office New Tab Page is broken.
- Fixed an issue where creating a new Collection sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where some images can’t be dragged and dropped into a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where using Collections sometimes causes error reporting dialogs to appear.
- Fixed an issue where certain suggested sites in the Pinning Wizard don’t get pinned to the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where the toggle to sync open tabs isn’t functional.
- Fixed an issue where login details appear as autocomplete candidates for text fields that aren’t used for logging in.
- Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails to properly set the profile picture.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where websites installed as apps don’t open and instead show an error if Edge isn’t already running.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the update page spins forever or eventually shows an error after a successful update.
- Improved how much content is blocked by SmartScreen’s dangerous content blocker.
- Fixed an issue where highlighting text in the address bar then clicking on webpages sometimes causes black-on-dark text when the browser is in Dark Theme.
- Fixed some graphical flickering when switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs.
- Fixed a white flash when entering Reading View.
- Improved the PDF reader’s background area color in Dark Theme.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes don’t use the proper theme.
- Improved performance when opening Application Guard windows for the first time.
- Changed the name of the window that appears when you hover over a running instance of Edge on the Task Bar to only be the name of the active tab in that window instead of also containing the name of the profile and browser.
- Changed the behavior of “deprecated” management policies to still apply properly, which differs from Chrome’s definition of “not supported” policies. Both “not supported” in Chrome and “obsolete” in Edge are policies which are no longer supported and just show an error instead of being applied.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.
- Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users. You can find the actual Insider Preview versions at the end of this post. The stable version of Microsoft Edge is expected to be released on on January 15, 2020.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- Enable QR Code Generator for Page URL in Edge Chromium
- Edge 80.0.361.5 Hits the Dev Channel with Native ARM64 Builds
- Edge Chromium Extensions Web Site Is Now Opened for Developers
- Prevent Microsoft Edge Chromium From Installing via Windows Update
- Edge Chromium Receives Pin To Taskbar Wizard
- Microsoft Enables Collections in Canary and Dev Edge with Improvements
- Edge Chromium Has Got New Tab Page Improvements in Canary
- Edge Receives Colorful Title Bars for PWAs
- Microsoft Reveals How Tracking Prevention Works in Edge Chromium
- Edge Receives Tight PWA Integration with Windows Shell
- Edge Chromium Will Sync Your Extensions Soon
- Edge Chromium Introduces Insecure Content Blocking Feature
- Enable Strict Tracking Prevention for InPrivate Mode in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Full Screen Window Frame Drop Down UI
- Edge Chromium for ARM64 Devices is Now Available for Testing
- Enable Classic Edge and Edge Chromium Running Side-by-Side
- Export Favorites to HTML File In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge for Linux is officially coming
- Edge Chromium Stable Is Coming on January 15, 2020 With New Icon
- Microsoft Edge Gets a New Logo
- Enable Dark Mode for All Sites in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Is Now Default PDF Reader, Here is How to Change This
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!