Microsoft has released a new Dev build of the Edge browser, version 85.0.552.1. The release comes with a number of fixes, and also brings a couple of new Group Policy options. Here are the changes.
- Added a New Tab Page Search Box management policy. Administrative Template updates to come later.
- Added support for the Auto Open Allowed For URLs management policy from upstream Chromium.
- Added support for the Auto Open File Types management policy from upstream Chromium.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes does not open.
- Fixed a crash on startup.
- Fixed a crash when printing.
- Fixed an issue where opening the Read Aloud voice options list crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode in an installed app or website crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when importing data from other browsers.
- Fixed an issue where certain 4K video content, such as that encoded using HEVC, doesn’t play properly.
- Improved the reliability of importing passwords from other browsers.
- Fixed an issue where adding items to a Collection sometimes fails, and instead the loading spinner is shown indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue where the flag that controlled the ability to use the Block option in website Autoplay settings disappeared.
- Fixed an issue where Edge users who are signed into Windows with a work or school account sometimes don’t get automatically signed into the browser with that account, which can lead to sync errors.
- Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes have consistent GPU use even when idle.
- Fixed an issue where icons in some menus like the … menu are the wrong size.
- Fixed an issue where the New Tab page from Edge Legacy sometimes opens after an Edge update instead of the correct page.
- Fixed an issue where system notifications from websites sometimes stay onscreen indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads management page shows a message that a file is successfully deleted even when the deletion fails.
- Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes incorrectly suggests credentials to use in forms on websites that have never been visited before.
- Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes incorrectly suggests passwords in fields on websites that aren’t asking for a password.
- Fixed an issue where the Windows Title Bar buttons sometimes appeared in a different color than the rest of the window’s title bar.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where opening flyouts like the Add a Favorite flyout in fullscreen mode results in the flyout appearing cut off or incomplete.
- Fixed an issue where Edge is sometimes pinned to the Taskbar more than once on older versions of Windows.
- Fixed an issue where the Collections pane sometimes stays open when opening an IE mode tab.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to use the Audit tool in the F12 Dev Tools sometimes fails by hanging on start.
- Obsoleted the Enable Domain Actions Download management policy.
- Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube. As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details.
- Clicking links from external applications while Edge is waiting to restart to apply an update sometimes results in those links not loading properly. The workaround is just to restart Edge to apply the update, and this should be fixed for users who have taken an update in the past week, but we’re keeping it in the known issues category this week just in case some users didn’t get last week’s update.
- Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load. This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
Actual Edge Versions
- Stable Channel: 83.0.478.54
- Beta Channel: 84.0.522.26
- Dev Channel: 85.0.552.1
- Canary Channel: 85.0.556.0
Download Microsoft Edge
You can download pre-release Edge version for Insiders from here:
The stable version of the browser is available on the following page:
Microsoft Edge is now a Chromium-based browser with a number of exclusive features like Read Aloud and services tied to Microsoft instead of Google. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices in Edge Stable 80. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7, which has recently reached its end of support. Check out Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium and Edge Chromium latest roadmap. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
For pre-release versions, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. Microsoft is going to support Edge Chromium on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, alongside macOS, Linux (coming in the future) and mobile apps on iOS and Android. Windows 7 users will receive updates until July 15, 2021.
You will find many Edge tricks and features covered in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable PWA Integration with Windows Shell in Microsoft Edge
- Translate Pages in Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge
- Enable PWAs App Icon Shortcut Menu in Chrome and Edge
- Enable Quiet Notification Requests in Microsoft Edge
- Add a Profile in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Focus Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Share Page URL via QR Code in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Immersive Reader Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Reset Settings in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Import Data from Edge Legacy to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Picture Dictionary for Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge
- Create InPrivate Browsing Shortcut for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge
- Keep Cookies for Specific Sites When Close Microsoft Edge
- Set Custom Image as New Tab Page Background in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Dev 83.0.467.0 Allows Resuming Downloads
- Microsoft Edge is Getting Vertical Tabs, Password Monitor, Smart Copy, and more
- Classic Edge is Now Officially Called ‘Edge Legacy’
- Enable or Disable Site Favicons for Edge Address Bar Suggestions
- Edge Canary Receives Adverb Recognition for Grammar Tools
- Add All Open Tabs to Collection in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Now Includes a Link to Family Safety in Settings
- Change New Tab Page Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Feedback Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable or Disable Automatic Profile Switching In Microsoft Edge
- The List of Internal Page URLs in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Picture-in-Picture (PIP) for Global Media Controls in Edge
- Change Font Size and Style in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Chromium Now Allows Making it Default Browser From Settings
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Rolls Out Edge Chromium to Release Preview Insiders
- How to Show Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Share Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Frame Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Image Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Extension Syncing
- Microsoft Announces Performance Boost In Edge Chromium Preview
- Edge 80 Stable Features Native ARM64 Support
- Edge DevTools Are Now Available in 11 Languages
- Disable First Run Experience in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Specify Default Profile to Open Links for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Receives Remove Duplicate Favorites Option
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Collections in Microsoft Edge Stable
- Install Google Chrome Themes in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Opening Selected Text in Immersive Reader
- Show or Hide Collections Button in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Won’t Automatically Install For Enterprise Users
- Microsoft Edge Receives New Customization Options for New Tab Page
- Change Default Download Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- and more