Microsoft has released a new Dev version of the Edge browser. Microsoft Edge 84.0.502.0 is now available to Insiders with a number of improvements and fixes.
- Added a “don’t show again” option to the warning that appears when launching Edge with Administrator privileges.
- Added the ability to exit ink/highlight mode in PDFs by hitting the Esc key on the keyboard.
- Added security to the saved payment cards section of Settings by requiring extra authorization before editing a saved card.
- Added the ability for Windows Information Protection for extend to the Share feature.
- Added a red PDF highlighter color.
- Added checkboxes to the entries on the Favorites and History management pages.
- Added new Read Aloud voices.
Besides these, there are the following improvements included in version 84.0.502.0.
- Fixed an issue where all webpages and extensions crash immediately upon load.
- Fixed an issue where video on certain websites like Netflix sometimes doesn’t load properly.
- Fixed an issue where viewing certain Settings pages crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where right clicking a highlighted portion of a PDF crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when signing into the browser.
- Fixed a crash on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where signing out of the browser and then attempting to sign back into the browser using the same email address fails.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel or Word fails for certain Collection names.
Finally, there are also fixes and known issues.
- Fixed an issue where the Shy UI was too eager to deploy when the mouse was near the top of the screen.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen even when the Edge window is no longer in the foreground.
- Fixed an issue where autofill popups sometimes appear over website-generated popups when typing into text fields on websites.
- Fixed an issue where the Feedback dialog sometimes closes unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes uninstall themselves.
- Fixed an issue where subsequent web pages from the same site sometimes can’t be installed as apps once one page from a site is.
- Fixed an issue where the title bar for websites installed as apps is sometimes too short.
- Fixed an issue with IE mode tabs where browser dialogs to log into websites are sometimes hidden.
- Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes aren’t zoomed properly.
- Fixed an issue where videos sometimes appear cut off or too small in their frame.
- Fixed an issue where searching on the Favorites management page sometimes doesn’t initially scroll the page to where the first entry is found.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the media controls sometimes appear on the Touch Bar on webpages where there is no controllable media playing.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to delete text when editing an item in a Collection sometimes exits editing unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue with the surf game where Time Trial mode sometimes doesn’t save high scores.
- Removed the back button from certain websites installed as apps.
- Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load. This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
Actual Edge Versions
- Stable Channel: 81.0.416.68
- Beta Channel: 83.0.478.13
- Dev Channel: 84.0.495.2
- Canary Channel: 84.0.506.0
Download Microsoft Edge
You can download pre-release Edge version for Insiders from here:
The stable version of the browser is available on the following page:
Microsoft Edge is now a Chromium-based browser with a number of exclusive features like Read Aloud and services tied to Microsoft instead of Google. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices in Edge Stable 80. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7, which has recently reached its end of support. Check out Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium and Edge Chromium latest roadmap. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
For pre-release versions, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. Microsoft is going to support Edge Chromium on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, alongside macOS, Linux (coming in the future) and mobile apps on iOS and Android. Windows 7 users will receive updates until July 15, 2021.
You will find many Edge tricks and features covered in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable Quiet Notification Requests in Microsoft Edge
- Add a Profile in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Focus Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Share Page URL via QR Code in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Immersive Reader Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Reset Settings in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Import Data from Edge Legacy to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Picture Dictionary for Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge
- Create InPrivate Browsing Shortcut for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge
- Keep Cookies for Specific Sites When Close Microsoft Edge
- Set Custom Image as New Tab Page Background in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Dev 83.0.467.0 Allows Resuming Downloads
- Microsoft Edge is Getting Vertical Tabs, Password Monitor, Smart Copy, and more
- Classic Edge is Now Officially Called ‘Edge Legacy’
- Enable or Disable Site Favicons for Edge Address Bar Suggestions
- Edge Canary Receives Adverb Recognition for Grammar Tools
- Add All Open Tabs to Collection in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Now Includes a Link to Family Safety in Settings
- Change New Tab Page Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Feedback Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable or Disable Automatic Profile Switching In Microsoft Edge
- The List of Internal Page URLs in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Picture-in-Picture (PIP) for Global Media Controls in Edge
- Change Font Size and Style in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Chromium Now Allows Making it Default Browser From Settings
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Rolls Out Edge Chromium to Release Preview Insiders
- How to Show Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Share Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Frame Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Image Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Extension Syncing
- Microsoft Announces Performance Boost In Edge Chromium Preview
- Edge 80 Stable Features Native ARM64 Support
- Edge DevTools Are Now Available in 11 Languages
- Disable First Run Experience in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Specify Default Profile to Open Links for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Receives Remove Duplicate Favorites Option
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Collections in Microsoft Edge Stable
- Install Google Chrome Themes in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Opening Selected Text in Immersive Reader
- Show or Hide Collections Button in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Won’t Automatically Install For Enterprise Users
- Microsoft Edge Receives New Customization Options for New Tab Page
- Change Default Download Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- and more