Microsoft today released a new Dev build to Edge Insiders. Microsoft Edge Dev 83.0.474.0 includes a number of improvements from the Canary channel, such as better favorites management, cookie removal exceptions, and more.
Microsoft Edge is now a Chromium-based browser with a number of exclusive features like Read Aloud and services tied to Microsoft instead of Google.
The stable version of Microsoft Edge Chromium is available to the public for a while. The browser has already received a few updates, with support for ARM64 devices in Edge Stable 80. Also, Microsoft Edge is still supporting a number of aging Windows versions, including Windows 7, which has recently reached its end of support. Check out Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium and Edge Chromium latest roadmap. Finally, interested users can download MSI installers for deployment and customization.
What's new in Microsoft Edge Dev 83.0.474.0
- Added the ability to show which folder a favorite is in when you search for a favorite on the Favorites management page and then right click a result.
- Added the ability to create a list of sites that are exempt from the deletion of cookies when the browser is configured to delete browsing data upon closing.
- Added an option to use quieter website notifications that don’t show unprompted popups.
- Added a search box to the Mac Touchbar when there is only one tab open.
- Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes when showing the Guided Switch popup.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes on launch when Application Guard is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where navigating in an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads management page sometimes crashes.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to use the F12 Dev Tools in a language that’s different than the browser’s language sometimes causes the Tools to fail to launch.
- Fixed an issue where websites sometimes hang when trying to load if Information Protection is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots are all black if the media autoplay blocking setting is set to Block.
- Fixed an issue where menus like the … menu are sometimes displayed incorrectly near screen edges.
- Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar while the left mouse button is pressed results in characters not being properly typed.
- Fixed an issue where a tab that’s restored after restarting the browser will navigate to the same page when the back button is clicked if the page that was restored was blocked by SmartScreen before the browser restart.
- Fixed some issues around interacting with windows for websites that are pinned to the Taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where websites that should be viewed in IE mode are sometimes opened in regular tabs instead.
- Fixed an issue where Guest mode is still available when the Force Sign In management policy is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where an image sometimes won’t be added correctly to an item in a Collection and instead it will just show a loading spinner.
- Improved messaging when using the Command+Q keyboard shortcut on Mac. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/macos-blog-improved-messaging-on-the-command-q-alert... for more details.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. We hope that this will be improved once version 81 is released to Stable.
- Some users are seeing high CPU use in tab or extension processes. Usually, ending the process, for example via Task Manager, reduces the CPU use back down to normal. We are currently investigating, and a set of steps to reliably reproduce this behavior would help us if anybody has some.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
Actual Edge versions
The actual versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
- Stable Channel: 80.0.361.111
- Beta Channel: 81.0.416.45
- Dev Channel: 83.0.474.0
- Canary Channel: 83.0.478.0
For pre-release versions, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. Microsoft is going to support Edge Chromium on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, alongside macOS, Linux (coming in the future) and mobile apps on iOS and Android.
You will find many Edge tricks and features covered in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Reset Settings in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Import Data from Edge Legacy to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Picture Dictionary for Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge
- Create InPrivate Browsing Shortcut for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge
- Keep Cookies for Specific Sites When Close Microsoft Edge
- Set Custom Image as New Tab Page Background in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Dev 83.0.467.0 Allows Resuming Downloads
- Microsoft Edge is Getting Vertical Tabs, Password Monitor, Smart Copy, and more
- Classic Edge is Now Officially Called ‘Edge Legacy’
- Enable or Disable Site Favicons for Edge Address Bar Suggestions
- Edge Canary Receives Adverb Recognition for Grammar Tools
- Add All Open Tabs to Collection in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Now Includes a Link to Family Safety in Settings
- Change New Tab Page Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Feedback Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable or Disable Automatic Profile Switching In Microsoft Edge
- The List of Internal Page URLs in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Picture-in-Picture (PIP) for Global Media Controls in Edge
- Change Font Size and Style in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Chromium Now Allows Making it Default Browser From Settings
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Rolls Out Edge Chromium to Release Preview Insiders
- How to Show Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge
- Add or Remove Share Button in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Frame Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Lazy Image Loading in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Extension Syncing
- Microsoft Announces Performance Boost In Edge Chromium Preview
- Edge 80 Stable Features Native ARM64 Support
- Edge DevTools Are Now Available in 11 Languages
- Disable First Run Experience in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Specify Default Profile to Open Links for Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Receives Remove Duplicate Favorites Option
- Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Collections in Microsoft Edge Stable
- Install Google Chrome Themes in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Windows Versions Supported by Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Opening Selected Text in Immersive Reader
- Show or Hide Collections Button in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Won’t Automatically Install For Enterprise Users
- Microsoft Edge Receives New Customization Options for New Tab Page
- Change Default Download Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Make Microsoft Edge Ask Where To Save Downloads
- and more
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: