Microsoft is releasing a new build of Microsoft Edge Chromium for users of the Dev channel. Besides new features and general improvements, the Dev channel now includes builds for the ARM64 platform.
For ARM enthusiasts, Microsoft are bringing native ARM64 builds to the Dev channel today. These builds have been in Canary for the last few weeks, and most of the issues were resolved during that time. There’s still one known issue though: certain DRM video on some websites doesn’t play properly.
Also, Microsoft mentions a short post about some of their work on the Mac touch bar.
Finally, here are some new features that are planned for upcoming Edge builds.
Upcoming Edge Features
- One of them is what we’re calling the “pinning wizard”. It will occasionally pop up from your Task Bar and suggest top websites from your history to pin directly to the Task Bar as installed websites. It can also be used at any time from … > More tools.
- For users of high contrast themes in Windows, Edge now supports high contrast themes as well! It will follow the theme you’ve chosen in the OS Settings and brings us back to parity with the support offered in Edge Legacy.
- And for users of Immersive Reader (formerly known as Reading View), Microsoft have greatly expanded the number of color themes you can choose from. Many of these are specially designed to reduce eye strain and increase reading comprehension.
The favorites sync feature is still disabled for the majority of users. This includes brand new machines you install Edge on, so if you’re setting up Edge for the first time and want access to your favorites, you’ll need to manually export your favorites to a file on a different machine and import them on the new one. Microsoft is also working on a deduplication mechanism once favorites sync is re-enabled, which should prevent new duplicates from coming in as well as remove duplicates for users who have already had their favorites duplicated.
- Added support for Dolby Vision playback.
- Enabled users of Windows Mixed Reality to view 360° videos on VR headsets.
- Fixed a crash when opening certain PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where clicking on the Feedback button crashes the browser.
- Fixed a browser crash for users of Collections.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Fixed an issue where typing passwords into password fields sometimes causes a tab crash.
- Fixed a crash when playing the Surf game.
- Fixed an issue where certain websites don’t load properly.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails for certain videos with error D7381.
- By request, favorites folders are now yellow.
- Updated Adobe Flash to version 22.214.171.1243.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs that fail to save for some reason end up failing silently instead of showing an error to the user.
- Fixed an issue where the font dropdown in Settings doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the search engine can’t be edited because the Save button doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the current display language can be removed from Edge even though it shouldn’t be.
- Fixed an issue where Edge installations on Azure Active Directory domain-joined machines get signed into the wrong account on first run.
- Fixed an issue where some webpages aren’t able to be translated, and instead show an error saying that the source language and target language are the same.
- Fixed an issue where Learn More links clicked during the First Run Experience open in tabs hidden behind the FRE instead of in a dialog above it.
- Fixed an issue where navigation to certain websites in IE mode sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes doesn’t load the image properly and instead shows the loading spinner forever.
- Fixed an issue where pasting items from one Collection into another doesn’t paste them in the correct order.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping an image into a Collection sometimes results in the wrong link being saved.
- Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots sometimes don’t work properly on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut for saving a PDF doesn’t work on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where desktop notifications are broken on Windows Insider builds.
- Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes fails to automatically update on Windows Insider builds.
- Fixed an issue where uninstalling and reinstalling Edge sometimes results in it no longer being able to launch on Windows Insider builds.
- Navigation in new tabs sometimes fails, either showing an error that the connection is closed, or crashing the tab. In some cases, subsequent navigations in the tab are okay.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected, and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift+esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.
- Highlighting text in the address bar then clicking on webpages sometimes causes black-on-dark text when the browser is in Dark Theme.
- The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
- Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
- Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there.
Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users. You can find the actual Insider Preview versions at the end of this post. The stable version of Microsoft Edge is expected to be released on on January 15, 2020.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Prevent Microsoft Edge Chromium From Installing via Windows Update
- Enable or Disable Collections in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge Chromium Receives Pin To Taskbar Wizard
- Microsoft Enables Collections in Canary and Dev Edge with Improvements
- Edge Chromium Has Got New Tab Page Improvements in Canary
- Edge Receives Colorful Title Bars for PWAs
- Microsoft Reveals How Tracking Prevention Works in Edge Chromium
- Edge Receives Tight PWA Integration with Windows Shell
- Edge Chromium Will Sync Your Extensions Soon
- Edge Chromium Introduces Insecure Content Blocking Feature
- Enable Strict Tracking Prevention for InPrivate Mode in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Receives Full Screen Window Frame Drop Down UI
- Edge Chromium for ARM64 Devices is Now Available for Testing
- Enable Classic Edge and Edge Chromium Running Side-by-Side
- Export Favorites to HTML File In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge for Linux is officially coming
- Edge Chromium Stable Is Coming on January 15, 2020 With New Icon
- Microsoft Edge Gets a New Logo
- Enable Dark Mode for All Sites in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Is Now Default PDF Reader, Here is How to Change This
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: