Microsoft is releasing a new version to the Dev channel of Microsoft Edge Chromium. Due to a bug, this release comes with the sync feature disabled. The other changes include a couple of new features and plenty of fixes, which are traditionally made in the Dev channel releases.
The change log for this release mentions the following updates.
- Added a right-click option to sort individual favorites folders by name from the Favorites management page.
- Added a new setting to always use Strict Tracking Prevention inside InPrivate windows.
- Fixed a crash on launch.
- Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a SmartScreen crash when downloading certain items.
- Fixed an issue where selecting context menu items on certain favorites entries causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where renaming a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes crash upon startup.
- Fixed an issue where navigation fails in Application Guard windows.
- Fixed an issue where closing tabs that contain websites that are blocked by SmartScreen sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where deleted or edited favorites aren’t synced properly, causing the edit to be undone when it syncs back down.
- Fixed an issue where syncing gets stuck in the “Setting up sync” state on browser startup.
- Fixed an issue where processes that grow too large and stop working aren’t automatically fixed.
- Fixed an issue where sync sometimes fails after restoring tabs after a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where large Collections aren’t properly exported to Word.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails.
- Reduced the number of times a user needs to sign out and sign back into the browser in order to fix sync.
- Temporarily disabled the ability to export Collections to Word and Excel on Mac.
- Temporarily disabled one form of DRM support on ARM64, which may impact the ability to play certain DRM-protected videos.
- Fixed an issue where windows that are minimized when the browser is restarted aren’t restored properly.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails with error D7356.
- Fixed an issue where the space bar doesn’t work when typing in the address bar.
- Fixed an issue where the enter key doesn’t work when typing in the address bar.
- Fixed an issue where the Windows Hello prompt to log into a website with the user’s OS credentials sometimes shows in an infinite loop.
- Fixed an issue for users of work and school accounts where websites that try and fail to use the browser profile’s credentials to log in don’t subsequently allow the user to fall back and try the user’s OS credentials.
- Improved the way Collections export images to Word documents.
- Fixed an issue where items sometimes fail to be added to Collections.
- Fixed an issue where webpage contents sometimes render all black if Collections is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where adding certain images to Collections results in a card with a broken image.
- Fixed an issue where PWAs installed for one user on a machine sometimes can’t be launched by other users on the machine.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where feedback screenshots can’t be included when submitting feedback.
- Fixed an issue where link context menus don’t show all the options if they’re opened via the keyboard instead of the mouse.
- Fixed an issue where some websites that are pinned to the Task Bar launch new tabs instead of activating existing tabs when tabs with those websites already exist.
- Fixed an issue where open tabs aren’t properly imported from Chrome.
- Fixed an issue where the wrong icon appears on web notifications.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
- At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
- Last month, some users got a “Work” account automatically added to the browser that wasn’t removable. Although we recently enabled the ability for some users to remove this account, there’s still an issue where users who are signed into Windows with a work or school account may not be able to remove that account from the browser.
- Clicking a link on one virtual desktop currently opens a new tab in a window on a different virtual desktop if there’s no window open on the current desktop but there is on another. This is a regression from past behavior, which opened a new window on the current desktop.
- Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there.
- Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue. This issue was inherited from upstream Chromium, and a fix for it just went in upstream, so the next Dev update should have it.
Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users. You can find the actual Insider Preview versions at the end of this post. The stable version of Microsoft Edge is expected to be released on on January 15, 2020.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Edge Chromium Receives Full Screen Window Frame Drop Down UI
- Edge Chromium for ARM64 Devices is Now Available for Testing
- Enable Classic Edge and Edge Chromium Running Side-by-Side
- Export Favorites to HTML File In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Edge for Linux is officially coming
- Edge Chromium Stable Is Coming on January 15, 2020 With New Icon
- Microsoft Edge Gets a New Logo
- Enable Dark Mode for All Sites in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Is Now Default PDF Reader, Here is How to Change This
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!