Traditionally, Microsoft shares change logs for Dev releases of the Edge Chromium browser. Canary builds have never had a list of changes. This has changed with Edge 80.0.319.0. The company now considers providing change logs for Canary builds, too.
Microsoft today released a new Canary build of Microsoft Edge, which is build 80.0.319.0. Surprisingly, the company has shared the change log. The Edge team has published it is a cryptic puzzle, which was quickly solved on their Insider forums.
Besides general improvements, Edge now allows importing your browsing history from Firefox, and also warns about unsafe files you are trying to download.
What's new in Microsoft Edge Canary Build 80.0.319.0
- Created an easier way to add a favorite.
- Opening collections items can now be done via the keyboard.
- Downloads now warn you of dangerous items.
- Extensions now show the publisher's information.
- New options for organizing installed apps.
- Additional zoom options are now available.
- Microphone or camera use is now shown in the address bar.
- Extensions that modify the browser's appearance can now be installed from the chrome web store.
- Opening apps can now be done via the keyboard.
- Firefox history can now be imported.
- Favorites opened via touchscreen no longer crash the browser.
- Intranet sites no longer hang when loading.
- Reopening windows no longer fails.
- Several application guard crashes have been fixed.
- Tracking prevention exceptions can now be added without the settings page occasionally crashing.
- Windows can no longer be created off-screen.
- Improved the password import success rate.
- New tabs opened quickly now always succeed.
- Downloads no longer fail if you quickly close the tab.
- Opening in-private windows no longer fails.
- Windows closed quickly now stay closed.
- Saving pdf documents no longer crashes the tab.
- Temporarily removed the new pdf toolbar.
- Organizing extensions can now be done by individual sources like the web store or unpacked files.
- Standard form controls are now accessible.
- History items are spaced better.
- Intranet searches now appear in the address bar.
- Performing searches from the address bar now saves that data to the cloud so it can sync to other devices.
- Wording on error pages has been improved.
- Intranet search performance has been improved.
- Tabs created offscreen can now be switched to.
- History items cleared with the clear browsing data dialog are now properly deleted from the current session.
- Images on certain webpages are no longer squished.
- Edge now checks for updates more frequently.
As you may already know, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable Dark Mode for All Sites in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Chromium Is Now Default PDF Reader, Here is How to Change This
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!