Microsoft Edge build 78.0.262.0 is out to the Dev channel of the browser, replacing the broken 78.0.256.2 update which was pulled out from being offered to Insiders. Let's see what's new in today's release of Edge.
Microsoft noted the following:
UPDATE 2: Instead of releasing build 256 since it had problems last week, we decided to release a newer build this week. All the notes for build 256 are still below, but additions from the newer build are also added to the bottom of each list with a NEW tag.
Microsoft Edge Dev 78.0.262.0 includes the improved sync functionality with Edge mobile. The mobile app now supports syncing passwords and form fill data with the desktop version of Edge for both personal accounts as well as work and school accounts.
Other changes include.
- Collections is now available in the Dev Channel!
- Added a button on the address bar to access favorites.
- Added support for Windows 10’s native Share functionality.
- Enabled the built-in abusive ad blocker that was added to Chromium last year.
- Added the ability to export Collections to Word.
- Added a policy to use two separate site lists for IE mode and standalone IE instead of having them share the same list.
- Enabled caret browsing in IE mode windows.
- NEW: To try to prevent scenarios where the browser launches but no webpages will load, it will now attempt to de-elevate itself when it detects that it’s running with administrative privileges.
- NEW: Added UI to communicate that data cleared via Clear Browsing Data will also delete that data on other devices signed in with the same account.
- NEW: Added a management policy to go to an intranet site for a single word typed into the address bar instead of initiating a search.
- Fixed some issues where the browser is unable to load any webpages.
- Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser crashes shortly after launching.
- Fixed an issue where Edge will crash on startup when used in certain languages.
- Fixed an issue where the browser will crash on Mac when signed in with a work or school account.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix videos don’t play due to a "Missing Component" with error code M7354.
- Fixed an issue where installing extensions from the Microsoft Edge extension store failed with the error “Package is invalid: CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING”.
- Fixed a crash when opening an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where webpages won’t load in an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention causes some websites to fail to load properly.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to navigate forward/back using the swipe gesture in situations where navigation isn’t possible leads to broken scrolling.
- Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes disappears unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad occasionally stops working.
- Fixed an issue where the first run experience doesn’t properly import data on older versions of Windows.
- Improved the success rate of data importing from other browsers.
- NEW: Improved reliability of Application Guard startup.
- NEW: Improved the success rate of importing data from Chrome.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where extensions were unable to be installed from the Microsoft Edge extension store due to a CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING error.
- NEW: Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where opening an IE mode tab sometimes leads to subsequent IE mode tabs that are opened after the first one crashing upon navigation.
- NEW: Fixed a crash when using Collections.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where websites sometimes hang when loading.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after a webpage navigates somewhere.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes fail to load properly.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where attempting to delete multiple favorites or history items sometimes failed.
- Improved the contrast between active and inactive tabs and windows for better visibility.
- Fixed an issue where the wrong search provider keyword sometimes appears in the address bar when multiple search providers are installed.
- Fixed an issue where downloaded files sometimes aren’t able to be deleted from the pop-up downloads UI.
- Fixed an issue where the link to go to the site permissions Settings page from the Apps page context menu doesn’t work on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where the Global Media Controls button that came from upstream Chromium is present even when there are no tabs with media on them.
- Fixed an issue where the … menu in some Settings pages (for example, site permissions) opens offscreen.
- Fixed an issue where the PDF toolbar sometimes doesn’t appear.
- Changed the Administrator Mode popup to show in fewer scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where the dialog to restart the browser due to diagnostic data settings changes appears multiple times during a single browsing session.
- Fixed an issue where the active tab upon startup is sometimes a pinned tab instead of a new tab.
- Fixed an issue where images sometimes don’t get saved when exporting a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where images weren’t properly rendering in saved Collections.
- Fixed an issue where first-run options are shown that don’t apply to the current user.
- Fixed an issue where search engines changed by extensions aren’t properly shown in the address bar dropdown.
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts to IE mode sites couldn’t be created on the Taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where the download UI isn’t properly shown in an IE mode tab.
- Fixed an issue where using multiple IE mode tabs in a single session sometimes leads to all the IE mode tabs after the first one not persisting settings set in the first one.
- Fixed an issue where the Find on Page search box is too small for certain window sizes.
- Updated UI in the F12 Dev Tools to properly show Edge’s UA string instead of a generic placeholder.
- Fixed an issue where some strings in the F12 Dev Tools weren’t localized.
- Fixed an issue where using the F12 Dev Tools in some languages displays everything in English instead of the selected language.
- Fixed an issue where profile pictures for work/school account users sometimes are missing.
- Fixed an issue where adding and deleting profiles sometimes leads to an extra profile being left over.
- Fixed an issue where the API to determine if Windows is in S mode returns the wrong value.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the default search provider doesn’t change when the browser is changed to a language from a region that uses a different default search provider than the current one.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot editor’s crop tool doesn’t work with touch.
- NEW: Improved the number of places single sign-on can be used.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where resizing a window with an IE mode tab sometimes doesn’t resize the IE mode tab’s content properly.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where pages are unnecessarily re-translated if the translate popup is dismissed without changing any of the settings.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the indicator to show that a page has been translated doesn’t appear during any of the subsequent translations if a page is translated multiple times.
- NEW: Fixed some inconsistent wording in the popup that appears when an update is available to install.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where feedback was unexpectedly getting submitted when the enter keyboard key is pressed anywhere on the feedback submission dialog.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where dragging products from certain websites into a collection sometimes results in some of the data not getting added to the collection.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where dragging an item into a collection sometimes breaks the ability to select items in that collection.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where reordering multiple items in a collection also reordered items that weren’t intended to be reordered.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where images from a collection sometimes don’t render properly when sharing them via email.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where highlighting text in PDFs sometimes doesn’t work properly.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where favorites icons weren’t appearing on the favorites management page.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the window color sometimes doesn’t change when it loses focus.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where tab titles are sometimes hard to read on inactive windows.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where hovering over the tab close button shows an improperly sized button.
- Disabled via a flag the Global Media Control button that was recently added to Chromium.
- Removed the prompt to restart Edge to install an update from Application Guard windows.
- Removed the profile sign-in button on Application Guard windows.
- Removed the default theme alert in the F12 Dev Tools.
- Removed some non-functional context menu items from Reading View.
- Temporarily disabled zoom functionality from the … menu when in Reading View.
As you may already know, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users.
Actual Edge Versions
The new Microsoft Edge browser installs updates automatically. Also, you can manually check for updates by visiting the menu Help > About Microsoft Edge. Finally, you can grab the Edge installer from the following page:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: