Microsoft is releasing a new build to Dev Channel users of the Chromium-based Edge browser. Traditionally for Dev channel builds, the update features a number of features previously seen in Canary builds, along with fixes and improvements.
Here's what's new in Microsoft Edge Dev 79.0.308.1.
Sync tabs between devices
Syncing of open tabs between devices is now available. To see the tabs from your other devices, go to the History section of the … menu. Additionally, users with work or school accounts can now sync their data to Mac devices.
- Added initial annotation features to PDFs.
- Added support for using a pen/stylus to move and resize windows.
- Improved the browser sign-in experience and added new profile icons.
- Added an error dialog for when the browser is in a state where it can’t be signed into (for example, when running as an Administrator).
- Added a link to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard from within Settings.
- Added text indicating if a window is InPrivate or Guest to the tooltip that appears when hovering over the Taskbar icon.
- Added the ability to edit the names of items in Collections.
- Added more links to documentation from within the F12 Dev Tools.
- Added more icons to certain places in the browser such as context menus.
- Fixed a crash when signing into the browser.
- Fixed an issue where trying to print a PDF crashes the tab.
- Fixed an issue where navigating within an IE tab sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed a hang when using IE mode tabs.
- Fixed an issue where clicking on the prompt to restart Edge to apply an update causes a hang on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where Edge would randomly crash.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to open with no indication as to why.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to navigate to websites.
- Fixed a crash when using Application Guard.
- Fixed an issue where checking for Edge updates results in the following error: “We couldn't create that component (error code 3: 0x80080005 -- system level)”.
- Fixed an issue where users can’t click on certain browser UI while the print dialog is open.
- Fixed an issue where logging into the browser fails because the Sign In button isn’t functional.
- Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work, and users unexpectedly had to sign into the browser again in order to restore sync.
- Fixed an issue where syncing doesn’t work after a user signs into the browser and tries to customize which types of data to sync.
- Fixed an issue where protected video like on Netflix doesn’t work on ARM devices.
- Temporarily removed the “Block” autoplay media blocking option due to certain websites not being blocked properly. This can be re-enabled with a flag.
- Temporarily removed the UI for sync options that haven't been implemented yet, so they don’t appear constantly disabled.
- Fixed an issue where Edge icons on the Taskbar, Desktop, Task Manager, etc. are incorrect or missing.
- Fixed an issue where video playback on certain sites like Xfinity would appear blocky or scrambled. Note that there is still an active bug with similar behavior.
- Fixed an issue where adding a new folder to Favorites from the Favorites management page isn’t possible because the Save button is disabled.
- Fixed an issue where Flash doesn’t work on certain webpages in Application Guard windows.
- Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots appear all black.
- Fixed an issue where importing settings from Chrome causes webpage text to be smaller than normal.
- Fixed an issue where Reading View doesn’t properly support right-to-left languages.
- Fixed an issue where zooming doesn’t work in Reading View on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where some buttons appeared circular when they’re hovered over instead of square/rectangular.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes don’t draw their entire border properly.
- Fixed an issue where signing into the browser with an account that has no picture doesn’t properly set the browser’s profile picture to the default avatar if a profile picture was previously set for the profile.
- Fixed an issue where copy/paste doesn’t work in Collections.
- Fixed an issue where adding the current webpage to a Collection fails.
- Fixed an issue where the Tab key has unexpected behavior in certain areas of a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where Collections exported to Word have extra artifacts added to the documents.
- Fixed an issue where reordering items in Collections via the keyboard doesn’t work properly.
- Fixed an issue where downloads blocked by SmartScreen don’t have the button to delete them straight from the Downloads shelf.
- Fixed an issue where changing which content is shown on the new tab page sometimes causes the wrong favicon to be shown on the tab.
- Fixed an issue where “Your organization has turned off sync” messages appear when they shouldn’t be.
- Fixed an issue where the number of InPrivate windows currently open isn’t displayed next to the InPrivate indicator in the toolbar.
- Fixed an issue where the arrow keys sometimes don’t work in PDF documents.
- Fixed an issue where the search engine imported from the existing version of Edge isn’t set as the default search engine after import.
- Fixed an issue where the feedback dialog window control buttons appear to be blurry.
- Fixed an issue where Windows Firewall prompts appear inside Application Guard windows.
- Fixed an issue where the user’s name when signed into the browser has “Profile 1” appended to it.
- Fixed an issue where the first run experience greets users as “Profile 1” instead of their name.
- Fixed an issue where the first run experience sometimes appears on top of web page content instead of on a new tab.
- Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools on Mac sometimes doesn’t use the proper theme.
- Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools feedback smiley face doesn’t render properly in light theme.
- Fixed an issue where two “Initiator” tabs are visible in the F12 Dev Tools Network pane.
As you may already know, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Edge Chromium Receives Weather Forecast and Greetings on New Tab Page
- Edge Removes The Block Option from Media AutoPlay Blocking
- Edge Chromium: Tab Freezing, High Contrast Mode Support
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!