How to Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge Chromium
The latest Canary build of Microsoft Edge Chromium comes with a long awaited option to disable the news feed on the New Tab page. Starting in version 78.0.268.0, the news feed section on the new tab page supports three modes, and can be disabled completely.
The New Tab page in Microsoft Edge Chromium includes three pre-configured layouts, which come with a set of elements visible or hidden on the screen. The layouts are:
Also, there is a Custom option that allows enabling and disabling individual New Tab Page elements like quick links, image of the day, and configure news feeds.
For the news feeds, you can choose either one of the option:
- Content visible
- Feed headings only
- Only on scroll
The last option is what we are looking for.
To Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge,
- Update Microsoft Edge to the latest version available (see below).
- Open a new tab (Ctrl + T).
- Click on the gear icon button.
- Click on custom.
- Select Off from the Show feeds drop-down list.
You are done. The news feed is now removed from the New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge Chromium.
Prior to version 78.0.268.0, you could only choose 'On Scroll' and 'Always' for 'Show feeds' on the new tab page. Here is a screenshot of the previous version of the browser:
As you may already know, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
- Beta Channel: 184.108.40.206
- Dev Channel: 78.0.262.0 (see what's new in this version)
- Canary Channel: 78.0.268.0
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
8 thoughts on “Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge”
I’ve taken the time to create a local .html file that is nothing but a black background. Then I set it as my homepage and my new tab page in my browsers.
Kills flocks of birds with one stone! ;)
My Edge Canary is the same build as what you tested, and still shows old menu.
It must be due to Controlled Feature Rollout.
The names of the options have changed; “Off” is now called “Content off”, and this is the option we now need to choose.
Tremendously useful advice which succeeds where MVP from microsoft does not. Very pleased and thankful to turn off garbage news feeds.
They shouldn’t add all this especially when its on my work computer. It’s a distraction and its all fake news garbage that gets me angry. I don’t care to see any of it ever.