Microsoft is releasing a new Dev build of the Chromium-based Edge browser. The Dev branch is finally switched to Chromium 78, featuring the first Dev build based on Chromium 78. The change log for version 184.108.40.206 comes with a number of new features and fixes. Here's what's new in this release.
New features and behavior:
- Added an option in Settings to choose between light and dark themes.
- Added the ability to import cookies from the existing version of Edge.
- Added a policy to enable deleting browsing data upon exit.
- Added a policy to prevent downloads from being marked as unsafe when they come from a trusted source.
- Added what version of Edge a management policy is supported on to the list of policies.
- Added dark theme support to the feedback screenshot editor window.
- Added dark theme support to the first-run sign-in popup.
- Added dark theme support to the browser sign in error popup.
- Added a confirmation when enabling sending Do Not Track requests.
Fixes for improved reliability:
- Fixed an issue where Edge Canary crashes on launch on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where saving a PDF file sometimes causes the browser to crash.
- Fixed an issue where navigating between pages in IE mode sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix would sometimes fail with error D7111-1331.
- Fixed an issue where items on the Favorites Bar sometimes don’t respond to clicks when a folder is open.
- Fixed an issue where syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” phase.
- Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails without showing any error.
- Fixed an issue where websites that were supposed to automatically sign in using the account that the browser is signed in with don’t get signed in properly.
- Fixed an issue where saving PDF files sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where zooming in on a PDF sometimes causes form fill to fail.
Fixes for improved behavior:
- Fixed an issue where links that would launch other applications don’t work in IE mode.
- Changed the tiles on the new tab page to show the page’s title when hovering over them instead of the page’s address.
- Removed Read Aloud from browser pages like Settings.
- Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools feedback (smiley face) button sometimes doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs with restrictions (on printing, copying text, etc.) are not getting those restrictions enforced.
- Fixed an issue where PDF scrolling doesn’t work properly on some PDF files.
- Fixed an issue where using the arrow keys to move the text cursor in PDF forms sometimes doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the first run experience showed two checkboxes to allow browsing data to sync across devices.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the Save Page As command appears twice in the File menu.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the language the browser is displayed in sometimes isn’t the preferred language as defined by the OS.
- Fixed an issue where an empty tooltip appears when you open a menu like the … menu.
- Fixed an issue where the geolocation usage notification sometimes remains after leaving the website it applied to.
- Fixed an issue where an extra scroll bar sometimes appears in Reading View.
- Fixed an issue where a desktop shortcut is sometimes being created when removing a profile.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping IE mode tabs will sometimes cause them to show the wrong zoom level.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads page cuts off its content when the window size decreases instead of resizing it.
- Fixed an issue where the sync confirmation dialog isn’t wide enough to fit its contents.
- Fixed an issue where some browser pages like Favorites don’t get dark or light theme applied until the page is refreshed.
- Improved the light theme in the F12 Dev Tools.
- Fixed an issue where some icons like the new tab page icon aren’t properly updating to a lighter color when the browser is switched to dark theme.
- Fixed an issue where the buttons on the PDF toolbar don’t change state when you interact with them.
Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users. The new Microsoft Edge browser installs updates automatically. Also, you can manually check for updates by visiting the menu Help > About Microsoft Edge. Finally, you can grab the Edge installer from the following page:
At the moment of this writing, the latest Microsoft Edge Chromium versions are as follows.
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium