Microsoft is releasing a new Dev build of the Chromium-based Edge browser. Unlike the Canary branch which is already switched to Chromium 78, the Dev channel remains on Chromium 77. The change log for version 22.214.171.124 comes with a number of new features and fixes. Let's check out the details.
Here are the key changes in this version of Microsoft Edge in the Dev channel.
New features and behavior:
- Added the ability to never translate pages that are in a particular language.
- Added a keyboard shortcut for the … menu on Mac.
- Added a button to maximize the feedback screenshot editor window.
- Added the ability to resize the feedback diagnostic data window.
- Added group policies to allow SmartScreen to be managed by organizations.
Fixes for improved reliability:
- Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
- Fixed a crash when typing in the address bar.
- Fixed an issue where the browser crashes on startup.
- Fixed a crash when using the built-in translator.
- Fixed an issue where opening the feedback submission form crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening the Settings page sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where sites that use single sign-on sometimes hang the browser.
Fixes for improved behavior:
- Changed where app/website shortcuts are pinned depending on how the app/website is installed.
- Fixed some issues around the shortcut pinned to the Task Bar not showing the proper icon or launching the proper profile.
- Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes whatever address is autocompleted to start loading on its own.
- Fixed an issue where videos on certain sites like Netflix sometimes become hidden.
- Fixed an issue where print preview sometimes doesn’t render all pages.
- Fixed an issue where search engines that have been deleted reappear the next time the browser is opened.
- Fixed an issue where invalid data was being shown in certain form autofill popups (for example, email fields had popups containing generic data that did not contain valid email addresses).
- Fixed an issue where light or dark theme isn’t properly applied to system pages (Favorites, Settings, etc.) on Mac.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the X to close a tab sometimes isn’t visible in dark theme.
- Fixed an issue where sign-in popups sometimes didn’t show the correct window icon and title.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sign-in dialog isn’t big enough to fit its contents.
Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users. The new Microsoft Edge browser installs updates automatically. Also, you can manually check for updates by visiting the menu Help > About Microsoft Edge. Finally, you can grab the Edge installer from the following page:
At the moment of this writing, the latest Microsoft Edge Chromium versions are as follows.
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium