How to Always Show Full URL in Google Chrome.
All modern browsers are hiding
www portions from address bar (page URL). Google Chrome has started this trend, constantly introducing such changes. Another popular web browser, Mozilla Firefox, has also received similar updates. Many users do not like this change. It looks like Chrome devs have finally decided to give the user the option to show the full URL in the address bar.
Some other Chromium-based browsers natively offer an option to always show the full URL in the address bar. For instance, the excellent classic Opera 12 successor, Vivaldi, has a special check box in its Settings.
Finally. Google Chrome has received a new option to have the full URL enabled in the address bar. As of the moment of this writing, the option is only available in Chrome Canary, and also hidden behind a flag.
Google Chrome comes with a number of useful options which are experimental. They are not supposed to be used by regular users but enthusiasts and testers can easily turn them on. These experimental features can significantly improve the user experience of the Chrome browser by enabling additional functionality. To enable or disable an experimental feature, you can use hidden options called 'flags'. Often, flags can be used to revert new features and restore the classic look and feel of the browser for some period of time. The Always show full URLs option is one of them. It appears in the context menu of the address bar of Chrome Canary.
If you don't see the option, you need to enable it first. However, in recent Google Chrome releases, at least in the Canary channel, the below flag is removed, and the option is already visible without extra steps.
To Always Show Full URL Address in Google Chrome,
- Open the Google Chrome browser
- Type the following text into the address bar: chrome://flags/#omnibox-context-menu-show-full-urls. This will open the flags page directly with the relevant setting.
- Set the option Context menu show full URLs to Enabled.
- Restart Google Chrome using the Relaunch button that will appear at the very bottom of the page.
- Now, open any web page, and right-click on the address bar.
- Select Always show full URLs from the context menu.
You are done. Now Chrome will always show full URLs in the address bar.
You can disable this feature at any moment later by clicking on the same context menu entry.
Articles of interest
- Enable Two-Page View for PDF in Google Chrome
- Enable Quieter Notification Permission Prompts in Google Chrome
- Enable Tab Groups In Google Chrome
- Enable WebUI Tab Strip In Google Chrome
- Enable Shared Clipboard In Google Chrome
- Enable Tab Freezing in Google Chrome
- Enable QR Code Generator For Page URL in Google Chrome
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Chrome (DoH)
- Enable Tab Thumbnail Previews in Google Chrome
- Disable Tab Hover Cards Previews in Google Chrome
- Create Google Chrome Incognito Mode Shortcut
- Force Enable Guest Mode in Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome Always in Guest Mode
- Enable Color and Theme for New Tab Page in Google Chrome
- Enable Global Media Controls in Google Chrome
- Enable Dark Mode for Any Site In Google Chrome
- and more!
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!