How to Enable Color and Theme Dialog for New Tab Page in Google Chrome
Starting in Google Chrome 77, you can enable advanced appearance options for the New Tab page. It will allow to change its color, set a background image, and customize shortcuts using a new dialog. Let's see how to enable it.
Google Chrome 77 introduced a new Welcome page that appears for new installs. It allows the user to customize the New Tab page background image, its shortcuts, and make Google Chrome the default browser in the OS.
Existing users can customize the New Tab page by clicking on a pencil button, that opens a small flyout with essential customization options.
However, there is a brand new customization dialog for the New Tab page available as an experimental feature in Google Chrome.
It comes with big thumbnail previews for New Tab Page backgrounds, and allows to customize or hide web site shortcuts from the New Tab page in a convenient way. Also, it allows changing the browser color scheme using a special color picker and a number of presets.
It is not enabled by default, but you can activate it with a flag.
Google Chrome comes with a number of useful options which are experimental. They are not supposed to be used by regular users but enthusiasts and testers can easily turn them on. These experimental features can significantly improve the user experience of the Chrome browser by enabling additional functionality. To enable or disable an experimental feature, you can use hidden options called 'flags'.
To Enable Color and Theme Dialog for New Tab Page in Google Chrome,
- Update your Google Chrome browser to version 77.
- Open Google Chrome and type the following in the address bar:
- Select Enabled from the drop-down list next to the 'NTP customization menu version 2' flag.
- Now, type the URL
- Enable the flag 'Chrome Colors menu'.
- Finally, enable the flag
chrome://flags/#chrome-colors-custom-color-pickernamed 'Custom color picker for Chrome Colors menu'.
- Restart the browser once prompted.
You are done!
Now, click on the pencil button and customize the browser using the new dialog.
To disable these features later, open the 'flags' page and change the options mentioned above from Enabled back to Default.
Articles of interest:
- Enable Global Media Controls in Google Chrome
- Enable Dark Mode for Any Site In Google Chrome
- Enable Volume Control and Media Key Handling in Google Chrome
- Enable Reader Mode Distill page in Google Chrome
- Remove Individual Autocomplete Suggestions in Google Chrome
- Turn On or Off Query in Omnibox in Google Chrome
- Change New Tab Button Position in Google Chrome
- Disable New Rounded UI in Chrome 69
- Enable Native Titlebar in Google Chrome in Windows 10
- Enable Picture-in-Picture mode in Google Chrome
- Enable Material Design Refresh in Google Chrome
- Enable Emoji Picker in Google Chrome 68 and above
- Enable Lazy Loading in Google Chrome
- Permanently Mute Site in Google Chrome
- Customize New Tab Page in Google Chrome
- Disable Not Secure Badge for HTTP Web Sites in Google Chrome
- Make Google Chrome Show HTTP and WWW parts of URL
Thanks to Leo.