Like most of the modern browsers, Firefox shows suggestions when you type in the address bar. Those suggestions are based on your recent browsing history, include bookmarks, and may include search engine suggestions. The upcoming version 75 of Firefox strips the
www portions from the suggestion URL.
When explaining the change, Mozilla noted that modern browsers are already hiding these parts. The company must be referring to Google Chrome, which is a product known for introducing such changes. So, starting in Firefox 75, the browser will replicate this behavior, and hide https:// and www parts from the suggestion URL.
The current version of Firefox shows suggestions as follows:
As you can see in the screenshot above, both
www are visible next to the suggestion title.
Here is how the same looks in Firefox 75, which is in Nightly as of now.
While the HTTPS portion is hidden, Firefox 75 shows the protocol if the classic plain
HTTP is in the URL.
As of this writing Firefox 75 'Nightly' comes with a special
about:config option to disable the new behavior.
Disable New Behavior
- Open Firefox.
- In a new tab, type
about:configin the address bar.
- Click I accept the risk.
- In the search box, type or copy-paste the line
- Double-click on the value name in the search result to toggle its value from true to false.
You are done. You can reset the value at any time later to restore the new behavior.
Personally, I find this change unpleasant. I am familiar with a couple of sites which return differently formatted pages for www and non-www URLs. Hiding anything from the URL is always a bad idea, because it makes it harder to understand what is going on in case you see something that you didn't expect to see on a web page.
As of now, the actual Firefox version is 73.0.1. To learn more about changes introduces in Firefox 73, check out the following post:
Articles of interest:
- Enable Lazy Loading for Images and Iframes in Firefox
- Enable Site Specific Browser in Firefox
- Automatically Export Bookmarks To HTML File in Firefox
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Firefox
- Remove What’s New Gift Box Icon From Firefox
- Enable Green HTTPS Icon in Firefox 70
- Disable Content Blocking for Individual Sites in Firefox
- Enable Loading of userChrome.css and userContent.css in Firefox
- Prevent Firefox From Suspending Tabs
- How to Refresh Firefox in Windows 10
- Disable Extension Recommendations in Firefox
- Remove Individual Autocomplete Suggestions in Firefox
- More HERE.