Microsoft is releasing a new build to Dev Channel users of the Chromium-based Edge browser. Traditionally for Dev channel builds, the update features a number of features previously seen in Canary builds, along with fixes and improvements.
Here's what's new in Microsoft Edge Dev 79.0.301.2.
- Added a setting to show or hide the feedback smiley face from the toolbar.
- The first round of Family Safety features is now available on Windows 10.
- Added an option to the New Tab Page for users signed into the browser with a work or school account to show Office content from their organization instead of news content.
- Added a toolbar to Reading View for easy access to Read Aloud and text viewing options.
- Added the touchscreen scrolling behavior that the existing version of Edge was known for.
- Added a button in Settings on Mac to open Microsoft AutoUpdate.
- Added right-click support to menu items on Mac.
- Added the ability to automatically remove extensions from a user’s device when they’ve been removed from the store they were installed from.
- Fixed an issue where the browser has high CPU usage when idle.
- Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes crashes when scrolled.
- Fixed a browser crash when using the new tab page.
- Fixed a browser crash when using IE mode.
- Fixed a browser crash when using Collections.
- Fixed a browser crash when importing data from another browser.
- Fixed a webpage crash when viewing PDF documents.
- Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes crash when typing in passwords.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix shows error D7354 when trying to play a video.
- Fixed some hangs.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to print a webpage while it’s in Reading View only prints a single paper’s worth of content instead of the entire webpage.
- Fixed an issue where certain Read Aloud voices don’t work properly.
- Changed the InPrivate icon into a square, as requested by user feedback.
- Fixed an issue where users signed into the browser with a personal Microsoft account are unable to sync favorites and other content.
- Fixed an issue where users with multiple accounts lose their account pictures on Taskbar shortcuts.
- Fixed an issue where the Taskbar shortcut sometimes appears as the default sheet of paper.
- Fixed an issue where the tab title in the tab band or on the Task Bar is incorrect if a PDF document is open.
- Fixed an issue where selecting large amounts of text in PDF documents doesn’t work properly.
- Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar are always in English despite the user’s language being set to some other language.
- Fixed an issue where Top Sites on the new tab page disappear or are reset after upgrading to a new version of Edge.
- Fixed an issue where translating a page into a different language and then back into its original language shows an error instead of performing the second translation.
- Fixed an issue where certain webpage controls like the calendar picker aren’t appearing.
- Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face is removed from the toolbar when it shouldn’t be.
- Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face isn’t rendered properly.
- Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key on the warning dialog that appears when attempting to close the browser while a download is in progress closes the browser instead of just dismissing the dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the warning about closing the browser while there’s an ongoing download never appears again after it’s dismissed the first time.
- Fixed an issue where certain functionality like delete doesn’t work on the downloads shelf.
- Fixed an issue where it’s possible to sign into a work or school account using the wrong type of email.
- Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On signs users into the wrong account if they sign into the browser with a different work or school account than the one they’re currently signed into Windows with.
- Fixed an issue where autofill settings are unexpectedly turned off by default for some users.
- Fixed an issue where cookies are unexpectedly disabled on new installations.
- Improved text input in Collections.
- Fixed an issue where two scroll bars sometimes appear in Collections.
- Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app from the Control Panel doesn’t give any indication as to whether or not it’s succeeded.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where clicking in menus sometimes doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where corrupted characters appeared in the F12 Dev Tools.
- Fixed an issue where certain icons are inappropriately mirrored in right-to-left language installations.
Finally, Microsoft is implementing a new style for web forms that will be used by Edge when you are browsing the web.
As you may already know, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Edge Chromium: Block Third-party Cookies for InPrivate Mode, Extension Access to Search
- Microsoft Gradually Gets Rid of Rounded UI in Edge Chromium
- Edge Now Allows Disabling Feedback Smiley Button
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: