Google has introduced a solution to address a synchronization problem that was causing the removal of files in Google Drive for certain users. The company has released step-by-step instructions to tackle this issue.
To resolve this problem, users need to download and open the latest version of Google Drive for Windows or macOS. After that, they must run the app repair tool. This can be done by clicking on the Disk icon in the menu bar or taskbar, holding down the Shift key, selecting "Settings" and then choosing "Restore from backups". Following these steps, a notification indicating the beginning of the recovery process should appear. Once the process is completed, Google will place all the recovered files in a newly created folder named "Google Drive recovery".
How to restore lost files in Google Drive
- Download the latest version of Drive for desktop: Windows | Mac
- Install the app, and launch it.
- In the menu or in the system tray, click the Drive for desktop icon.
- Now, press and hold the Shift key and select Settings without releasing the Shift key.
- Finally, click Recover from backups.
- If Drive for desktop can find a backup, it will recover it successfully. But if you don't have enough disk space, free up the required amount of disk space and run the tool again.
You are done.
Finally, there is a command line recovery option. E.g. on Windows, you can open Windows Terminal, and run
"C:\Program Files\Google\Drive File Stream\launch.bat" --recover_from_account_backups. The result will be written into the recovery.txt file. You will find it under the Logs directory of the app data folder,
In case any difficulties arise during this process, users can provide feedback through the Drive desktop app using the hashtag #DFD84. They can also enable diagnostic logs by checking the corresponding box.
Last month, some users noticed that files uploaded to Google Drive between May and November 2023 were missing. Google clarified that this issue affected only a small percentage of desktops running version 84.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!