In addition to Administrative templates for Windows 10 version 20H2, October 2020 Update, Microsoft has released a special reference file in the XLSX format (Microsoft Excel), that allows you to quickly find what is new in Group Policies of the latest Windows 10 release.
For Windows to be successfully configured, Group Policy needs Administrative Templates and an app to set these policies. In Windows, there's the Local Group Policy Editor app and there's Group Policy Management Console for Active Directory Domain Services.
Local Group Policy Editor
The Local Group Policy Editor is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through which all the settings of Local Group Policy objects can be managed.
Local Group Policy Editor is not available in certain editions of Windows 10. Only Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education edition include the Local Group Policy Editor app.
Local Group Policy Editor includes objects that apply to a computer (all users) and users (a specific user account, group, or per-user software software settings). It consists of two parts.
- Computer Configuration is used to set policies that will be applied to a computer. The change software settings, Windows settings, and administrative templates for all users. They typically change Registry keys under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Registry branch and require restarting the computer to make the change to take effect.
- User Configuration is a set of policies that apply to users. User Configuration comes with options for software settings, Windows settings, and administrative templates stored in the per-user Registry branch (HKCU).
Note: Certain options can be configured for both User Configuration and Computer Configuration. Such values can be stored in both HKCU and HKLM Registry branches. When both parameters are set, User Configuration takes precedence over the Computer Configuration value.
Administrative Templates are registry-based policy settings that appear in the Local Group Policy Editor under the Administrative Templates node of both the Computer and User Configuration nodes. This hierarchy is created when the Local Group Policy Editor reads XML-based Administrative Template files (.admx).
Download Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 Version 20H2
Group Policy Settings Reference Spreadsheet
Microsoft has also released a spreadsheet that lists the policy settings for computer and user configurations that are included in the Administrative template files delivered with for Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2) . You can configure these policy settings when you edit Group Policy Objects.
The spreadsheet includes all the policies available in Windows 10 starting from its RTM release, build 10240, to Windows 10 version 20H2.
You can download the reference spreadsheet from here:
Group Policy Settings Reference Spreadsheet for Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2)
Tip: It is possible to find which Local Group Policies are applied in Windows 10 using the GUI. If you are running an edition of Windows 10 which comes the Local Group Policy Editor app, you can use it to see them quickly. See the following article:
How To See Applied Group Policies in Windows 10
Other articles to check
- All Ways To Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10
- Apply Group Policy to All Users Except Administrator in Windows 10
- Apply Group Policy to a Specific User in Windows 10
- Reset All Local Group Policy Settings at once in Windows 10
- Enable Gpedit.msc (Group Policy) in Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 is the successor to the May 2020 Update, version 2004 released in May 2020. Windows 10 version 20H2 is a minor update with a smaller set of enhancements focused primarily on select performance improvements, enterprise features, and quality enhancements. You can find what's new in this Windows 10 version here:
What’s new in Windows 10 version 20H2
More Windows 10 version 20H2 resources
- Windows 10 version 20H2 is officially released
- Download Windows 10 Version 20H2 ISO Images
- Administrative Templates for Windows 10 Version 20H2
- Known Issues in Windows 10 Version 20H2
- Install Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 version 20H2 October 2009 Update
- Windows 10 Version 20H2 System Requirements
- Features Removed in Windows 10 version 20H2
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!