In Windows 10, when you hover over a taskbar button of a running app or group of apps, a thumbnail preview appears on the screen. For a single window it shows a single thumbnail, and for multiple windows it shows a number of thumbnail previews in a row. If you wish to enlarge or decrease these thumbnails in Windows 10, I will explain how it can be done with a simple Registry tweak.
As you may be aware, Windows 7 introduced a redesigned taskbar which abandoned much loved classic features but introduced some nice improvements like large icons, jump lists, draggable buttons etc. Windows 10 comes with the same taskbar. It does not have many configurable settings exposed in the GUI to tweak its behavior but there are some hidden secret Registry settings which you can fine-tune. In this article, we will see how to change the taskbar thumbnail hover delay in Windows 10.
When you hover over the taskbar button of an open app, it will show you a small thumbnail preview of its window. See the following screenshot:
It is possible to adjust the size of these thumbnails. Here is how.
To change the taskbar preview thumbnail size in Windows 10, do the following:
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
Tip: You can access any desired Registry key with one click.
- Here, modify or create a new 32-bit DWORD value namedMinThumbSizePx. Note: If you are running 64-bit Windows 10, you still need to create a 32-bit DWORD.
- Set its value data in decimals to the number of pixels you want for the size of taskbar thumbnail previews. For example, you can set it to 400 pixels as shown below.
- Modify or create the MaxThumbSizePx 32-bit DWORD value and set it to the same value.
- Restart the Explorer shell or sign out and sign in back to Windows 10.
This will change the taskbar preview thumbnail size in Windows 10. See screenshots below.
You are done.
To restore the defaults, just delete the above mentioned MinThumbSizePx and ManThumbSizePx values. Don't forget to restart the Explorer shell.
If you would like to avoid Registry editing, here is good news for you. In the past, I created a freeware tool called Winaero Tweaker, One of its options is "Taskbar Thumbnails". It can tweak and change many hidden secret taskbar thumbnail parameters which cannot be changed via the Windows 10 GUI. Using it, you can change the taskbar preview thumbnail size just with a few clicks.
It can control all mentioned parameters in the article and many more. Using this tool, you will be able:
- Adjust thumbnail size.
- Adjust number of grouped application thumbnail windows.
- Adjust horizontal spacing between the thumbnails.
- Adjust vertical spacing between the thumbnails.
- Adjust thumbnail's caption position.
- Adjust thumbnail's top margin.
- Adjust thumbnail's bottom margin.
- Adjust thumbnail's left margin.
- Adjust thumbnail's right margin.
- Completely disable taskbar thumbnails.
You can download Winaero Tweaker from here. It works in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 without issues.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!