A new pre-release build of Microsoft Edge is out to the Dev channel. Version 79.0.294.1 features a notable number of fixes and improvements.
The release comes with the following highlights.
- Added messaging to warn users when they install an extension that has the ability to change their search provider, home page, or new tab page.
- Added improved messaging and reporting abilities when navigating to unsafe websites.
- Added a button to set up syncing from the profile flyout.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes fails to load.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to navigate and show “This page is having a problem”.
- Fixed an issue where opening all items in a Collection sometimes leads to a browser crash.
- Temporarily disabled Renderer Code Integrity by default to prevent situations where it causes all tabs to crash upon loading.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud would sometimes stop when reading long words.
- Improved the success rate of single sign-on for work or school accounts.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips don't appear when hovering over links, UI, etc.
- Fixed an issue where Edge opens in Application Guard mode when it shouldn’t.
- Fixed an issue where the various sync toggles sometimes don’t work after signing in with a work or school account.
- Improved the appearance of the Downloads shelf.
- Fixed an issue where the option to open a new tab from the tab band’s context menu appears twice.
- Fixed an issue where various sync toggles appear disabled even though they shouldn’t be.
- Fixed an issue where the button to sign out of the browser is sometimes missing from Settings.
- Fixed an issue where profile pictures sometimes don’t appear in Settings.
- Improved the appearance of the Task Bar icon when using multiple profiles.
- Fixed an issue where users with multiple profiles see a generic icon instead of their profile picture on the Task Bar shortcut.
- Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention reported blocking trackers from one tab when viewing a different tab.
- Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes are zoomed improperly when they load.
- Fixed an issue where windows sometimes have a 1px colored line on top of them.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where keyboard shortcuts sometimes don’t work in Collections.
- Fixed an issue where mobile favorites that are imported from another browser aren’t placed in the correct folder.
As you may already know, Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The stable channel is also on its way to users.
Actual Microsoft Edge Versions
The actual pre-release versions of Edge Chromium at the moment of this writing are as follows:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Block Potentially Unwanted Apps For Downloads in Microsoft Edge
- Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge Receive a Dismiss Button
- Microsoft Edge: New AutoPlay Blocking Options, Updated Tracking Prevention
- Turn Off News Feed on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
- Enable Extensions Menu Button in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Remove Feedback Smiley Button in Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Will No Longer Support ePub
- Latest Microsoft Edge Canary Features Tab Hover Cards
- Microsoft Edge Now De-Elevates Itself Automatically
- Microsoft Details Edge Chromium Roadmap
- Microsoft Enables Global Media Controls in Microsoft Edge
- How to Use Cloud Powered Voices in Microsoft Edge Chormium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Never Translate, Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Enable Caret Browsing in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium