How to Enable or Disable Extension Toolbar Menu in Google Chrome
Google has launched a new experiment. For some users, Chrome is hiding extension icons by default. Instead of adding them to the right of the address bar, the browser hides them behind an extension menu.
The extension toolbar menu is not a new feature. It was already announced last summer.
When the menu enabled, you can hide redundant extension buttons from the toolbar.
When the user clicks the puzzle piece icon, the extension menu opens and displays a list of all enabled extensions the user has installed. The extension list is grouped by the level of data access the extension has on the currently selected tab.
Right-click on an extension and select 'Unpin' from the context menu.
With today's change, Google updates the behavior of the extension menu. Earlier, the user had to unpin the extension icons manually. Now, icons are hidden by default for all the installed extensions, making them harder to spot. This change has already been criticized by developers and experienced users who believe the solution is confusing to the end user.
If you want to give it a try, do the following.
To Enable or Disable Extension Toolbar Menu in Google Chrome,
- Open Google Chrome.
- Type the following text into the address bar:
Enabledfrom the drop-down list next to the 'Extensions Toolbar Menu' option to enable the menu.
- Setting it to
Disabledwill disable the extension menu.
- Restart Google Chrome by closing it manually or you can also use the Relaunch button which will appear at the very bottom of the page.
You are done! Now the browser shows a new button on the toolbar which hosts all browser extension buttons in a group.
The menu contains the Manage extensions link for convenience.
Try to install an extension now. It will go into the new menu.
Note: You can enable the similar extension menu in Microsoft Edge.
Articles of interest
- Always Show Full URL Address in Google Chrome
- Enable Two-Page View for PDF in Google Chrome
- Enable Quieter Notification Permission Prompts in Google Chrome
- Enable Tab Groups In Google Chrome
- Enable WebUI Tab Strip In Google Chrome
- Enable Shared Clipboard In Google Chrome
- Enable Tab Freezing in Google Chrome
- Enable QR Code Generator For Page URL in Google Chrome
- Enable DNS over HTTPS in Chrome (DoH)
- Enable Tab Thumbnail Previews in Google Chrome
- Disable Tab Hover Cards Previews in Google Chrome
- Create Google Chrome Incognito Mode Shortcut
- Force Enable Guest Mode in Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome Always in Guest Mode
- Enable Color and Theme for New Tab Page in Google Chrome
- Enable Global Media Controls in Google Chrome
- Enable Dark Mode for Any Site In Google Chrome
- and more!