Microsoft is releasing a new development version of their Chromium-based Edge browser. The change log for version 22.214.171.124 comes with a number of new features and fixes. Let's check out the details.
Here are the key changes in this version of Microsoft Edge in the Dev channel.
New features and behavior
- Added the ability to mark up screenshots with ink.
- Prevented extensions that are banned from the Chrome extensions store from being installed.
- Added messaging to better help users for some cases when Internet Explorer mode fails to start.
- Added the ability to import settings from the original version of Edge.
- Added additional text to identify when a window is InPrivate or Guest.
Fixes for improved reliability and stability
- Fixed a crash when pressing Tab.
- Fixed a crash when pressing F6.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads page sometimes didn’t render.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix was slow when playing 4K video.
- Fixed a crash when installing extensions.
- Fixed a hang when playing certain types of videos.
- Fixed some hangs when opening Application Guard windows.
- Fixed an issue where the popup blocker would sometimes fail to work in Internet Explorer mode.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes fails to start properly.
- Fixed some issues where opening certain PDF files sometimes failed.
Fixes for improved behavior
- Fixed an issue where SafeSearch couldn’t be turned on.
- Fixed an issue where selecting all text in a PDF didn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the Apps page occasionally shows duplicate entries.
- Fixed an issue where languages were getting added to edge://settings/languages when they shouldn’t have been.
- Fixed an issue where PDF form fields sometimes don’t appear properly.
- Fixed an issue where tab icons are occasionally the wrong color.
- Fixed an issue where address bar icons are occasionally the wrong color.
- Fixed an issue where certain icons weren’t displaying correctly in certain countries.
- Fixed an issue where the correct start page wasn’t appearing in some countries.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes didn’t display in the proper language.
Microsoft is currently using three channels to deliver updates to Edge Insiders. The Canary channel receives updates daily (except Saturday and Sunday), the Dev channel is getting updates weekly, and the Beta channel is updated every 6 weeks. The new Microsoft Edge browser installs updates automatically. Also, you can manually check for updates by visiting the menu Help > About Microsoft Edge. Finally, you can grab the Edge installer from the following page:
At the moment of this writing, the latest Microsoft Edge Chromium versions are as follows.
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Enable IE Mode in Chromium Edge
- Stable Update Channel Made its First Appearance for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Receives an Updated Password Reveal Button
- What are Controlled Feature Roll-outs in Microsoft Edge
- Edge Canary Adds New InPrivate Text Badge, New Sync Options
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Clear Browsing Data on Exit
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium