Unlike the good old Start menu in Windows 7, the Start menu in Windows 10 do not come with an easy option to add the Run command. Many users prefer to have a clickable item to open the Run dialog. Personally, I love and always use Win + R keyboard shortcut, but for mouse and touchpad users who really miss the Run item in Windows 10's Start Menu, here is a very simple way to get something similar to Windows 7's Run command.
This article is related to one of pre-release builds.
Please read the following article instead: Add Run to Start menu in Windows 10 RTM
Recently I covered how to customize the Start list (the left side of the Start menu) and how you can pin any app to the left or right side. Let's use the same trick for the Run command!
- Open the Start menu.
- Click All apps in the bottom left corner of the Start menu.
- Go to the Windows System folder at the bottom of the Apps list and expand it. You will find the Run command inside.
- Right click it and pick Pin to Start from the context menu.
- After that, the Run command will appear on the right side of the Start menu in Windows 10.
If you try to move it to the left side, you will be surprised to see that you cannot just drag and drop the Run command to the top left side!
Here is a workaround for that:
- Create a new shortcut by right clicking an empty area of the Desktop and enter the following command as the shortcut target:
The command above is a special Shell location, you can get the complete list of such locations here: The most comprehensive list of shell locations in Windows 8.
- Name your shortcut as 'Run' and set the proper icon from the C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll file as shown below:
- Now drag the shortcut you just created from Desktop to the left side of the Start menu. You will get exactly what you want:
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!