The Photos app is a Universal (Metro) app which comes pre-installed in Windows 10. It is a Store app which is intended to replace Windows Photo Viewer. While interested users can restore the classic desktop app, Windows Photo Viewer, those who prefer to use Photos might be interested in learning how to add cool 3D effects to images with this new app.
The built-in Photos app allows viewing images and performing basic editing. Its tile is pinned to the Start menu. Also, the app is associated with most image file formats out of the box. Photos offers very basic functionality to view images from the user's local drive or from the OneDrive cloud storage.
The Photos app comes with a set of 3D effects. The feature is supposed to allow users to add 3D objects and use advanced effects on them. The list of effects is pretty huge. Here are some of them:
- Impact – Metal
- Impact – Sand
- Impact – Stone
- Sci-Fi portal
- Laser Wall
- Burst of the burst
- Neon ball
- Smoke column
- Electric sparks
- Explosive dust
- Laser beam
- Ray of light
- Glowing sparkles
- Rain cloud
- Comet tail
- Camping fire
- Heart sparkles
- Star sparkles
- Candle flame
- Rainbow sparkles
- Violent fire
- Splash of color
- Rose petals
- Bubbles everywhere
- Atomic motion
- Impact with sparks
- Plasma sparks
- Autumn leaf
- Breath blocked
- Confetti shooter
- Confetti shower
- Snowflake burst
- Wisp of smoke
- Lens sparkles
- Snowflake sparkles
- Party lasers
- Energy Circle
Here is how to apply them.
To add 3D effects to images with Photos in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Photos. Its tile is pinned to the Start menu by default.
- Open the image file you want to crop.
- Expand the item Edit & Create in the top toolbar area.
- Select the Add 3D effects command from the list.
- A new flyout will open on the right. Select some effect you want to apply. I am going to add the Snow effect to my picture.
- Adjust the effect options if it has them. Some effects come with a variety of options you can tweak. In my case, I can only change the sound level for the Snow effect.
- The Photos app allows combining several effects. For each effect, you can adjust its time, size and position. Just select the appropriate effect in the Edit pane and move it over the picture. Use the timeline below the picture to specify when the effect should appear.
- Finally, you can add a 3D object from the 3D library tab. You might be asked to name your public profile before accessing the online library. There, you will find extra 3D effects.
- Once you have added all the objects and effects, click on the play button to see the result in action.
- Save the image by clicking on the Save a copy button.
You can get something like this:
Tip: You can subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Crop Images with Photos in Windows 10
- Add Favorites in Photos in Windows 10
- Change Photos App Live Tile Appearance in Windows 10
- Enable Zoom with Mouse Wheel in Photos in Windows 10
- Backup and Restore Photos App options in Windows 10
- How to Tag People in Photos app in Windows 10
- Enable the Dark Theme in Photos in Windows 10
- Exclude OneDrive Images from Photos in Windows 10
- Set Photos As Screen Saver In Windows 10
- Disable Face Detection and Recognition in Photos in Windows 10