When Microsoft shipped the original version of Windows 10 to the market in July 2015, there was a lot of talk about the separate Windows DVD Player app which was going to be sold in the Windows Store for $14.99. Most user reviews says the app is too basic for the amount of money they're charging and lacks many features that other DVD software includes for free. Microsoft hadn't done anything to the app lately so it was considered abandoned. However, last week Microsoft released a major update for the Windows DVD Player which includes some playback tweaks and improvements to the overall user experience.
The official change log was published only in the Feedback Hub, but you can see it there:
- Now when you insert a DVD into the drive while the app is running, it will automatically read the DVD. No longer do you have to manually tell the app to look for a disc in the drive.
- Playback bar is simpler and more polished so that it’s easier to use.
- Less used actions are now hidden under the “…” menu
- The closed caption button is included in the playback bar
- The look and feel is modeled after the Movies & TV app
- Playback bar is now disabled when there is no DVD in the drive.
- If your DVD drive region does not match the region set in Windows, the app will prompt you to change the region of your DVD drive to continue.
- Basic keyboard interactions are now supported: double-clicking on the video will go full screen, escape will exit full screen, spacebar will pause/play.
- We improved the keyboard navigation and made Narrator strings clearer.
- If you have the N SKU of Windows installed, the app will recognize the lack of Media Foundation Package and prompt you to install it.
The updated Windows DVD Player is available only for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring right now and will be rolling out to more users some time in the near future. If you're an Insider and previously purchased the Windows DVD Player app or want to buy it right now, head over to the app's page in the Windows Store.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
you are welcome.