Microsoft is releasing a new build to Insiders in the Fast ring. Build 19546 includes a few new features and a number of important fixes for Timeline, Task View, and Spatial sound.
As you may remember, Fast Ring builds no longer represent a specific feature update of Windows 10. So, Windows 10 Build 19546 includes the following changes we might get in the production branch with the 20H2 release.
What’s new in Build 19546
Introducing Graphing Mode in Windows Calculator
Today, we’re updating Windows Calculator for Insiders with a preview of our new graphing mode. Adding support for graphing is one of our top feature requests in Feedback Hub, and we’re excited to bring this feature to our users. Graphing capabilities are also essential for students who are beginning to explore linear algebra. With this feature, we hope to empower students to learn mathematics by improving their conceptual understanding and attitudes towards math.
Here are a few things you can try out with this new feature:
- Plot one or more equations on the graph. Enter multiple equations so that you can compare plots against each other and see interactions between the lines. You can also customize the line style and graph viewing window to suit your needs.
- Add equations with variables. If you enter an equation with a secondary variable (e.g., “y = mx + b”), you’ll be able to easily manipulate those variables so that you can quickly understand how changes to the equation affect the graph.
- Analyze the graph. Trace plots with your mouse or keyboard to better understand the relationship between variables in the equation on the graph. You can also analyze equations to help identify key graph features, like the x- and y- intercepts.
We’re looking for feedback! Tell us what you want to see next via the Feedback Hub under Apps > Calculator or select the Send feedback button on the About page in the app. If you’re a developer, check out the project on GitHub—we are always accepting contributions! #BuildTogether
Other updates for Insiders
Introducing the Indexer Diagnostics app
Available now in beta via the Microsoft Store, the Indexer Diagnostics app was created to help enhance your understanding of the capabilities of search, as well as increase the troubleshooting ability and support for general Windows Search issues.
The tool will continue to be improved with more functionality added over time.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in Timeline not showing any activities.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Outlook search not working for some.
- We fixed an issue significantly impacting Task View reliability for some.
- We fixed an issue where pressing Spatial Sound -> Off in the sound menu caused Explorer.exe to crash.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
- We are aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected.
- The cloud recovery option for Reset this PC isn’t working on this build. Please use the local reinstall option when performing Reset this PC.
- We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We’re investigating reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0x8007042b.
- We’re looking into reports of certain external USB 3.0 drives not responding with Start Code 10 after they’re attached.
- The Optimize Drives Control Panel is incorrectly reporting that optimization has never run on some devices. Optimization is completing successfully, even though it is not reflected in the UI.
- The Documents section under Privacy has a broken icon (just a rectangle).
- Remote Desktop Connection crashes when attempting to connect to multiple sessions.
- Snipping isn’t working on secondary monitors.
- The IME candidate window for East Asian IMEs (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and the Japanese IME) may not open sometimes. We are investigating your reports. As a workaround if you encounter this, please change the focus to another application or editing area and back to the original and try again. Alternatively, you can go to Task Manager and end the “TextInputHost.exe” task from the Details tab, and it should work afterwards.
If you have configured your device to receive updates from the Fast Ring ring, open Settings - > Update & recovery and click on the Check for Updates button on the right. This will install the latest available Insider Preview of Windows 10.