A new build, Windows 10 build 14279 has landed on the Fast Ring. This build comes with a couple of new features and several bugfixes. Unfortunately, it still has unresolved issues too. Let's see the change log of Windows 10 build 14279 in detail.
Windows 10 build 14279 is a new build from the Redstone branch. Compared to the previously released build 14271, Microsoft has fixed the following bugs:
- We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge and Cortana were crashing for users with roaming profiles.
- We fixed an issue where Cortana would continue to show reminders that have been completed.
- We fixed an issue where items copied/moved to the desktop would not display until the desktop is manually refreshed by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing “Refresh” or pressing F5.
- We fixed an issue where downloading certain drivers from Windows Update was causing some PCs to bluescreen.
For this build, the following issues were fixed according to Microsoft:
- We’re investigating an issue in which some Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book devices experience a freeze or hang and all input such as keyboard/trackpad and touch do not work. The workaround is to hold down the power button to force the device to hard-reboot.
- We are continuing to track several issues reported by Insiders where some PCs will freeze or bluescreen when resuming from hibernation. Disabling hibernation is a workaround in some cases until this is fixed.
- If you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Internet Security, or the Kaspersky Total Security Suite installed on your PC there is a known driver bug that prevents these programs from working as expected in builds from the Development Branch. We are partnering with Kaspersky to fix this issue for a future release, but at this time there are no known workarounds. While this issue is present, we recommend using Windows Defender or another third party anti-virus product of your choice to remain protected.
- Turning on the “always show all icons in the notification area” setting disrupts the layout of the notification area (“systray”). Your notification area will look out of alignment.
- We are seeing reports of crashes with apps such as QQ crashing due to an OS reliability issue we are currently investigating. This bug is also impacting older apps such as Windows Live Mail and Expression Encoder 4.
New features available in Windows 10 build 14279
Windows 10 build 14279 comes with a number of new features. Most of them are related to Cortana and search.
- Cortana got support for new languages. Now it is available for the Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil) and French (Canada) languages.
With this build, we are enabling Cortana for the Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil) or French (Canada) languages! If you’re running the Windows 10 Insider Preview in these languages – give Cortana a try and let us know what you think. For each new market and language, the Cortana Team works to develop a custom experience that is relevant in each individual market and language. For instance, in Brazil – Cortana is fond of pasteis which is a common food found in many regions across Brazil. And in Mexico, we added local flavor to reflect the accent and language of the country. But our work is never complete and a big part of our development process is getting feedback from you. These are early versions that we will continue improve based on your feedback and we look forward to hearing more from you.
- Cortana now allows you to create reminders on the fly:
With Cortana, you can now save useful information like the name of a book you want to read (ex: “remind me to read [insert book name]”), or a to-do item without a due date (ex: “remind me to wash the car”). You have the option to set specific details like location, time, and people at a later time so that Cortana will surface it when its most relevant. You can always view and edit all of these in the same place you see your reminders in Cortana today.
- Windows 10 build 14279 will use the same background image for your Lock Screen and for the logon screen. Once you set the Lock screen background image, it will be used for logon screen too, which was previously hardcoded to the "Windows Hero" image.
- Improved performance of IME especially the typing response. So your typing experience will be smoother than before. Microsoft also extended the prediction list so you can select from a wider variety of predictions.
As we already know, Redstone is expected to bring notable changes to Action Center, Microsoft Edge, Cortana and may also add some integration with Office 365 services. Cortana is expected to become a system-wide assistant. Notification Center / Action Center might get support for widgets, offering quick snapshots of data, synced across your Windows 10 devices. Microsoft Edge will get extensions support: this was confirmed in Windows 10 build 11082, which already has this feature partially implemented. Another interesting feature of the Redstone update is Task Continuation which will allow users to start a task on one device and then resume and finish it on another.
Windows 10 Redstone is expected to come in two waves, exactly like the Threshold update:
- Windows 10 build 10240 is the Threshold 1 update.
- Windows 10 build 10586 is the Threshold 2 update.
The first Redstone update is planned for release in June 2016, and the second one in Spring 2017, although Microsoft can shift these dates and speed up/slow down the releases.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
4 thoughts on “Windows 10 build 14279 is out for Fast Ring insiders”
Broken link : Download ESD files for Windows build 14279.
You forgot the h in https.
So just nothing new just a message to tell us Cortana gonna be strong and boring >. network icon without warning panel (i’m connected but the icon says i’m limited…), fix the start button after 2 weeks (i put a real key not a crack, i use this os legally) and fix the edge folder who always created in “c:\users\name_user\appdata\local” but i uninstall edge (by your little trick ^^)
I came home today to Cortana consuming all 32 GB of my ram and my machine swapping like crazy. Beware.