Vivaldi is a relatively new browser with the goal of replacing the old Opera 12.x browser. It is highly customizable and is developed for power users. The Vivaldi developer team has introduced a new version of their browser. Unlike previous weekly releases, the new Vivaldi 220.127.116.11 brings several major improvements to the user interface of the browser. Let's see what those improvements are.
Vivaldi 18.104.22.168 comes with an improved Start page/Speed dial/New tab page. Now you can customize its appearance. You can set a custom background color or set your own wallpaper for that page like you could in Opera classic. You can even set an animated background - a GIF image for example. The Speed Dial page also has color schemes where you can pick a dark or light appearance to match your Speed Dial background.
To make the UI look sharp when scaled, this version of Vivaldi is using SVG icons and supports high DPIs. Unfortunately, the resources required for high DPI are not included in this build, but the engine is there.
Finally, Vivaldi 22.214.171.124 features the ability to disable thumbnails for vertical tabs. This feature can be welcomed by users who use vertical tabs instead of the traditional horizontal tabs which are enabled by default.
Mac users of Vivaldi can now check for updates manually from the menu.
- Windows 32-bit
- Windows 64-bit (still experimental)
- Linux RPM 32-bit
- Linux RPM 64-bit
- Linux DEB 32-bit
- Linux DEB 64-bit
Here is the full list of changes: Show/Hide
- VB-5717 — Select in searchfield dropdown should invoke search
- VB-5716 — Not whole urlstring selected when focusing addressfield
- VB-5666 — Fast-forward does not always activate when supposed to
- VB-5593 — Settings page navigation menu doesn't work
- VB-5043 — View-source urls doesn't work in Vivaldi
- VB-4992 — Inline search doesn't globally register esc
- VB-4284 — Disable url prediction service break keyword search in url bar
- VB-3878 — Vivaldi can't be installed without admin privileges
- VB-1489 — Autocomplete on URL instead of nickname
- VB-5709 — Can no longer set new single-key shortcuts while they are disabled
- VB-5559 — Use tab “thumbnail” instead of “tooltip”
- VB-5446 — Add zoom UI slider to settings
- VB-4756 — Add option to disable mouse-gesture
- VB-5829 — Space does not work in settings search
- VB-5816 — Use vivaldi:settings URL instead of vivaldi:settingspage
- VB-5766 — Tab stack tooltip not highlighted on hover
- VB-4175 — Add support for changing start-page background
- VB-5922 — It is impossible to make form widgets focused with SpatNav active
- VB-5920 — Spatnav doesn't fire mouseleave event
- VB-5891 — Make tabs on the sides resizable
- VB-5373 — Auto-update for Vivaldi, on Mac OS
Note that this browser is still at "Technical Preview" stage and can't be recommended for daily use. Personally, I am looking forward to the release version of the browser and plan to switch to it when it becomes more stable and polished.
What are your impressions about Vivaldi? Do you like it or not? Which features would you like to see in the final version of the browser? Tell us in the comments.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!