The Thunderbird email app is updated to version 78.8.1. This is a maintenance release that comes with general improvements and bugfixes. It doesn't include security fixes.
Thunderbird is my preferred email client of choice. I use this app on every PC and on every operating system I use. It is stable, contains all the features you need, supports add-ons and also comes with a useful RSS reader. I am using Thunderbird for many years and never felt the need to look for an alternative.
Thunderbird 78 doesn't support classic XUL add-ons any longer, but includes some of their features out-of-the-box. For example, on Windows you can minimize the app to the system tray.
What's new in Thunderbird 78.8.1
- New mail notification did not occur for newly arrived messages if previously received mail was unread
- Directory for saving multiple attachments was not remembered between saves
- Opening a message from the command-line using "-mail <URL>" failed
- Automatic account setup did not use the provider email and display name
- Newly-added identities were not listed in the account manager until it was closed and reopened
- Account provisioner did not properly handle UTF-8 data
- Copying a large message to an IMAP server would sometimes prematurely display a time-out error
- OpenPGP: Various errors when importing keys
- OpenPGP: Public keys attached to an outgoing email did not have "Content-Description" set
- Address Book: CardDAV sync errors did not retry until Thunderbird was restarted
- Calendar: Changing the cache mode of a CalDAV calendar connection would lose the username of the account
- Calendar: Add-on calendars were sometimes not visible after restarting
- Calendar: The preview for a recurring task did not use all available space in the dialog window
- Installer: Option to keep distribution directory on upgrade did not work
Thunderbird users should eventually get the update automatically via the built-in update mechanism. To update it manually, select menu > Help > About Thunderbird to open the "About" dialog and initiate the update check. After that, the app should download and install the most recent version available.
Also, you can manually download the app from its official web site:
The release notes are available here.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!