Mozilla releases Thunderbird 78.6, a security update to the app that also includes a number of improvements and general fixes. It is now available for download for Windows, mac OS and Linux.
Thunderbird is my preferred email client of choice. I use this app on every PC and on every operating system I use. It is stable, contains all the features you need, supports add-ons and also comes with a useful RSS reader. I am using Thunderbird for many years and never felt the need to look for an alternative.
Thunderbird 78 doesn't support classic XUL add-ons any more, but includes some of their features natively. E.g. on Windows you can minimize the app to the system tray.
The following changes have been made in versions 78.5.1
What's in Thunderbird 78.6
- MailExtensions: Added browser.windows.openDefaultBrowser()
First of all, Thunderbird 78.6 comes with 8 security fixes, listed here. Two of them are critical, three are high, and one is moderate.
- Keyboard shortcut for toggling message "read" status not shown in menus
- OpenPGP: After importing a secret key, Key Manager displayed properties of the wrong key
- OpenPGP: Inline PGP parsing improvements
- OpenPGP: Discovering keys online via Key Manager sometimes failed on Linux
- OpenPGP: Encrypted attachment "Decrypt and Open/Save As" did not work
- OpenPGP: Importing keys failed on macOS
- OpenPGP: Verification of clear signed UTF-8 text failed
- Address book: Some columns incorrectly displayed no data
- Address book: The address book view did not update after changing the name format in the menu
- Calendar: Could not import an ICS file into a CalDAV calendar
- Calendar: Two "Home" calendars were visible on a new profile
- Calendar: Dark theme was incomplete on Linux
- Dark theme did not apply to new mail notification popups
- Folder icon, message list, and contact side bar visual improvements
- MailExtensions: HTTP refresh in browser content tabs did not work
- MailExtensions: messageDisplayScripts failed to run in main window
The release notes are available here.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!