Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for computers and tablets with a touch screen which supports Auto Correction and Auto Suggestions. When you touch any text field on your tablet, the touch keyboard appears on the screen. Windows 10 comes with an ability to configure Auto Correction and Text Suggestions for the touch keyboard.
The text suggestion feature for the touch keyboard is enabled by default. It can be disabled in Settings. When enabled, Windows 10 will display a line with text suggestions while you are typing in a text area. See the following screenshot:
The Text Suggestions feature comes in handy for people who happen to be poor spellers and/or poor typists (for instance, myself). Everyone makes typos and the Text Suggestions feature is incredibly useful to fix them, just like you can do on smartphones. Also, it can save your time by predicting words as long as you have typed a few letters. Here is how to enable or disable it.
To disable or enable Suggestions for the touch keyboard Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Time & language -> Keyboard.
- On the right, select your keyboard in the list and click on the Options button.
- On the next page, enable the option Show text suggestions as I type under Touch keyboard as shown below.
- Disabling this option will disable text suggestions.
Alternatively, you can apply a Registry tweak.
Configure Text Suggestions For Touch Keyboard with Registry Tweak
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value Prediction.
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
Set its value data to 1 to enable the feature.
- To disable text suggestions, set the Prediction value data to 0.
- Sign out from your user account and sign in back.
Note: The loc_0409 portion in the Registry path represents the English keyboard. You need to replace it with the appropriate subkey which matches your current input language, e.g. loc_0419 for Russian.