Here's how to restore a previous file version in OneDrive using File Explorer and on Web.
OneDrive version history is a useful feature that tracks all the changes you make in files stored in your account. You can follow changes in the document and quickly restore previous versions to undo changes made by your or other users with access to the file.
OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) offers the file history for all types of documents stored in the cloud. These include Office files, PSD, CAD, PDF, photos, videos, etc. All you need to do is save a file to OneDrive. Do note that OneDrive supports file history for both personal and work/school account. Personal accounts keep track of up to 25 versions of a single file.
Restore a previous file version in OneDrive for Web
- Go to onedrive.live.com and sign in with your Microsoft Account.
- Find the file you want to restore a previous version for, and right-click it.
- Select Version History from the context menu. You can also click the same button on the toolbar above when the file is selected.
- If you want to restore a previous version of an Office file, OneDrive will open a new tab with a list of all the changes sorted by date and time. Besides, you can preview each version on the same page.
- Click Restore. Also, you can press Download to download the needed version.
- If you try to restore other file types, for example, a PDF document, OneDrive will open a side panel with the list of available versions and contributors.
- Find the version you need and click the button with three dots, and select Open file from the menu. Do note that this button actually downloads the file, not opens it in the browser.
You are done.
The same can be done right in File Explorer if you have the OneDrive app installed. Actually, it comes preinstalled with Windows 10, so there is a great chance that you already have it. You can restore a previous version of a file using the default OneDrive app as follows.
Restore a previous file version in OneDrive in File Explorer
- Open File Explorer, e.g. using the Win + E keyboard shortcut.
- Click on the OneDrive icon in the left pane.
- Find the file you need to restore a previous version for, and right-click it.
- Select Version History from the menu.
- OneDrive will open a new window with the list of previous versions sorted from newest to oldest. Also, you can see who made the changes.
- Press the button with three dots and select Restore or Download. The former restores the selected version, and the latter downloads a file with the changes you need. Do note that the button appears only when you hover the cursor over the list.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!