Out of the box, Windows 7 allows you to pin programs to the taskbar. In later versions of Windows like Windows 8 and Windows 10, Microsoft allows the user to pin folders and settings to Start but not the Taskbar. In this article, we will see how to pin a file to the taskbar in Windows 10.
By default, Windows 10 does not allow the user to pin files to the taskbar. However, there is a trick which can help you to bypass this limitation.
The idea behind the trick to pin files to the taskbar is simple - since you can already pin executable files to the taskbar, you can change the extension of the target file to .exe, pin it to the taskbar and then restore the original extension. The shortcut will remain pinned to the taskbar.
To pin any file to the taskbar in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open File Explorer.
- Enable the Show file extensions option in File Explorer.
- Go to the folder which contains the file you want to pin to the taskbar.
- Rename the target file (select the file and press F2) and change its extension from, let's say ".txt" to ".exe".
- Right-click the renamed file and select "Pin to taskbar".
- Rename the file and restore its previous (original) extension.
- Right-click on the pinned icon on the taskbar to open the context menu.
- In the context menu, right-click the file name and select Properties as shown below.
- The Properties dialog will open. Modify the text value in the Target field and change the extension portion to the original file extension.
- Click on the Change icon button and select a new icon for your pinned file. Click OK and Apply.
- Sign out from your user account and sign-in back in order to apply a new icon to your pinned file. See the following article: Change a pinned app’s shortcut icon on the taskbar in Windows 10.
You are done:
Note: Once you click the pinned file, a new instance of an associated app will open and its icon will appear on the taskbar. This behavior is by design and it's not possible to change it.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!