Microsoft has released a new preview build of Windows 11 25231 to Insider program participants on the Dev channel. The main idea of this release is to make some of the new features available to more insiders, including a new tablet-optimized taskbar and language options. Traditionally, there is a good set of fixes, and a list of known issues.
What's new in Windows 11 Insider Build 25231
- The spelling dictionary now uses a language-independent word list, which should also sync across all devices using the same Windows account. Users can enable this feature in Settings -> Accounts -> Windows Backup -> Remember my preferences -> Language preferences . From now on, this feature is available to all Insiders in the Dev channel. It was first introduced in build 25179. Currently, only Microsoft accounts are supported. AAD support will come later.
- The tablet-optimized taskbar is now available to all Windows Insider members on the Dev channel. The rollout of this feature was also started in build 25197. Changes made in build 25211 are also available , including the ability to drag and drop icons in the system tray area.
- Cloud word prediction for Simplified Chinese IME, introduced in Build 25217, is now available to all Windows Insider Program members on the Dev channel.
- System tray:
- Now, when hovering the mouse over the sound icon in quick actions, the tooltip will display information about the selected spatial sound option.
- Removed background from UWP app icons in Apps -> Default Apps and Apps -> Website Apps.
- Fixed the font used in the Wi-Fi section of Quick Actions when Wi-Fi is disabled. It now matches the rest of the text in quick actions.
- Fixed an issue where some network cameras could not be added under Bluetooth & Devices -> Cameras.
- Improved DPI detection when running setup.exe from a mounted ISO so the logo should no longer be blurry during provisioning.
- Fixed a rare issue where FindWindow and FindWindowEx could return an unexpected window.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes FIDO could not be used to unlock the computer if it was connected to an external display and the laptop lid was closed.
- Fixed an issue that caused some applications (such as Paint and Windows Terminal) to crash when trying to display a tooltip.
The list of known issues is in the official announcement.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!