Microsoft is releasing a new development version of their Chromium-based Edge browser. Version 188.8.131.52 comes with a huge list of new features and fixes.
Here are the key changes in version 184.108.40.206 of Microsoft Edge in the Dev channel.
New features and behavior
Note: These features must be familiar to Edge Canary users.
- Read Aloud enabled for PDFs
- Enable secure receipt of payment card data.
- Enable Application Reputation from SmartScreen by default
- Fix to support Dolby audio on Windows 8.
- Family safety feature has a flag in edge://flags.
- Direct launch for ClickOnce applications has been enabled.
- Support for HEVC decoder has been added.
- Enable Windows Defender Application Guard by default
- Now we sort extensions into “From Microsoft Store” and “From other store” categories
- Added “Recent” category in History management page
- Disabled InPrivate browsing for profiles managed by Family Settings
- Added tracking prevention under a flag in edge://flags.
- Added ability to Save pages as MHTML from reading view
- Work to support single sign on (SSO) and Azure Active Directory (AAD)
- Work to support DRM in PDF
- Localization into 11 languages (more coming)
- Enabling SmartScreen on macOS by default
- Enabling SafeSearch functionality for all Bing searches.
Fixes for improved reliability
- Fix for TouchBar on macOS when in YouTube fullscreen mode.
- Multiple fixes to sync engine
- Improved the crash reporting and uploading
- Fixed a crash on URL load
- Fixed an error when sync was turned off and on repeatedly.
- Fixed a crash when trying to write to a read only date attribute
- Fixed a crash when moving tab between two windows on separate screens.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when sync occurred before sign-on completed
- Fixed a crash that occurs on some navigation requests.
- Fixed a crash on pop-up windows
- Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS Sierra and High Sierra versions
- Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.
- Fixed an issue with guest more support on privacy and services settings page.
- Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS
Fixes for improved behavior
- Improvements to dark mode in various controls and pages
- Select the last used Chrome profile by default when importing from Chrome.
- Move multiple controls to Fluent UI
- Improve the cleanup logic in the installer
- Limit New Tab Page content for Education SKUs and Windows 10s.
- Fixes to new WebView control rendering
- Fixes for importing defaults from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
- Fixes for Reading View toolbar
- Fixes for importing pinned tabs and settings during First Run Experience
- Fix to use user preference for font size rather than preset default.
- Automatically move keyboard focus to address bar after First Run Experience
- Fixed the swipe gesture for History on macOS
- Fixed the sync icon badge on the user flyout.
- Audio offload fixes to improve performance and battery life.
At the moment of this writing, the latest Microsoft Edge Chromium versions are as follows.
- Beta Channel: 220.127.116.11
- Dev Channel: 18.104.22.168
- Canary Channel: 22.214.171.124
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
Also, see the following updates.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Allows Switching Theme
- Microsoft Edge: Support for Windows Spell Checker in Chromium Engine
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Prepopulate Find with Text Selection
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Gets Tracking Prevention Settings
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Change Display Language
- Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium: Pin Sites To Taskbar, IE Mode
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: