Microsoft is releasing a new version of the Microsoft Edge browser. Edge 220.127.116.11 allows pinning web sites to the taskbar from the browser's menu. Another new feature is the ability to enable and try Internet Explorer mode.
As you may already know, Microsoft Edge, the default web browser of Windows 10, is moving to a Chromium-compatible web engine in the Desktop version. Microsoft explains that the intention behind this move is to create better web compatibility for customers and less fragmentation for web developers. Microsoft has already made a number of contributions to the Chromium project, helping to port the project to Windows on ARM. The company promises to contribute more to the Chromium project.
Pin web sites to the taskbar
Today's build 18.104.22.168 adds at least two new features to the browser. First of them can be found in the browser's main menu under 'More tools'. From there, you can pin any web site to the taskbar for faster access. Here's how it looks:
Another new feature is the ability to open web sites in Internet Explorer mode. It is disabled by default, but can be enabled with a flag.
Enable Internet Explorer Mode
- Open Microsoft Edge.
edge://flags#edge-internet-explorer-integrationto open the required flag directly.
- Select 'Enabled' from the drop down menu next to the flag name.
- Restart the browser when prompted.
- You are done.
Now, open the main menu (three dots button) and select More tools > Show this page using Internet Explorer. You'll get something like this:
As you can see in the screenshot above, the feature is a work in progress. It opens a new tab that simply redirects its URL to the Internet Explorer browser. In the future, we can expect more seamless integration of two products.
As of now, these are the actual versions of the Microsoft Edge Chromium:
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Also, see the following updates.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Will Allow Uninstalling PWAs as Desktop Apps
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium