As you may remember, Chrome includes a feature that allows using media keys on the keyboard to control the media content playback in the browser. When enabled, it allows using the Volume Up, Volume Down, or Mute media keys, you will see a special toast notification with buttons that you can use to control media playback. With a commit from a Microsoft developer, the notification now includes details about the YouTube video played in the browser.
The following screenshot demonstrates the media notification toast in Google Chrome:
In the latest Microsoft Edge Chromium, version 220.127.116.11 Canary, YouTube video information is now included in the volume toast notification on Windows 10. The overlay window shows the thumbnail, video name, and channel name for the video that is currently playing in Edge.
According to the source, this feature is available starting in Edge Dev 18.104.22.168. It is the result of collaborative work of Microsoft and Google engineers. So it should reach the production branch of Google Chrome sooner or later. As of now, it is already available in Chromium/Google Chrome Canary.
- Beta Channel: 22.214.171.124
- Dev Channel: 126.96.36.199
- Canary Channel: 188.8.131.52
I have covered many Edge tricks and features in the following post:
Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
Also, see the following updates.
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Canary Features Dark Mode Improvements
- Show Icon Only for Bookmark in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Autoplay Video Blocker is coming to Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium is Receiving New Tab Page Customization Options
- Enable Microsoft Search in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Grammar Tools Are Now Available in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Now Follows System Dark Theme
- Here’s how Microsoft Edge Chromium looks on macOS
- Microsoft Edge Chromium now installs PWAs in the root of the Start menu
- Enable Translator in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Dynamically Changes Its User Agent
- Microsoft Edge Chromium Warns When Running as Administrator
- Change Search Engine In Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Hide or Show Favorites Bar in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Install Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge Chromium
- Chrome Features Removed and Replaced by Microsoft in Edge
- Microsoft Released Chromium-based Edge Preview Versions
- Chromium-Based Edge to Support 4K and HD Video Streams
- Microsoft Edge Insider extension now available in Microsoft Store
- Hands-on with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Page Revealed
- Microsoft Translator is Now Integrated with Microsoft Edge Chromium
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
One thought on “Microsoft Edge Chromium Includes YouTube Video Info in Volume Control OSD”
If you want to disable the Media OSD overlay, and just have Volume, set ‘Media Session Service’ flag to disabled.