How to Listen to Microphone with Playback Device in Windows 10
You can listen to your microphone with available audio playback devices. This can be useful in a number of situations. E.g. when you need to test your microphone or its input jack, or when you have connected some other devices to the microphone input of your computer.
You can have listen to your microphone and make your speaker playback what your microphone captures. Note that if you listen to the connected microphone through your speakers, especially if they are set to a loud volume level, you may hear background noise as well as microphone audio.
In this post we will see how to listen to microphone with a playback device like speakers or headphones in Windows 10.
To Listen to Microphone with Playback Device in Windows 10
- Open the classic sound options. Right-click the sound icon at the bottom right of the taskbar.
- Select Sounds from the context menu.
- This will open the Playback tab of the Sound applet.
- Click on the Recording tab to switch to it.
- Double-click on your microphone device to open its Properties.
- In Properties, switch to the Listen tab.
- Turn on (check) Listen to this device.
- Under Playback through this device, select the playback device you want to use for mic playback.
- Click on OK in the open dialog windows.
You are done.
Note: Untick the mentioned Listen to this device option to undo the change you made. This can be done at any moment.
Opening the Sound dialog faster
Tip: the Sound dialog can be opened faster using one for the following commands. Press Win + R on the keyboard and enter any of the following commands into the Run box.
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1
The second command will directly open the Sound dialog at the Recording tab, that is also time saving. The RunDll32 app allows launching classic Control Panel applets directly. See the full list of such commands available in Windows 10 to learn more about similar useful commands available in the OS.