With the recently released Windows 10 build 14328, Microsoft added a new option to Windows 10. Now it is possible to stop Windows 10 from updating your drivers. By default, Windows 10 automatically installs drivers from Windows Update when they become available along with security patches.
A new option starting with build 14328 and above, will allow the user to turn off driver updates in Windows Update in Windows 10. Users who have the operating system edition with Group Policy can use it to configure the appropriate option. If your Windows 10 edition comes without Group Policy, you can apply a simple Registry tweakor use Winaero Tweaker.
Turn off driver updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 using Winaero Tweaker
Just you the following option in Winaero Tweaker to disable driver updates in Windows Update with one click.
Get Winaero Tweaker here: Download Winaero Tweaker.
Turn off driver updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 using Group Policy
- Press Win + R keys together on your keyboard and type:
- Group Policy Editor will open. Go to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Windows Update.
- There, double click the option Do not include drivers with Windows Update.
- In the next dialog, enable this option and you are done:
If you are running a Windows 10 Edition without Group Policy, you need to apply a tweak as described below.
Turn off driver updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 using a Registry tweak
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
Tip: You can access the desired Registry key with one click.
If you don't have such a key, then just create it.
- On the right side, create a new 32-bit DWORD value named ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate. Set its value data to 1.
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows, you still need to create a 32-bit DWORD value. See the following screenshot:
- Restart Windows 10.
That's it. You just made Windows 10 Anniversary Update not install drivers from Windows Update.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!