With Windows 8.1, Microsoft introduced a set of folders inside the This PC folder. These folders include Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos. Windows 10 comes with the same set of folders in This PC. If you are interested in removing the default folders from This PC in Windows 10 and want to add some custom folder there, this article is for you. Today we will see:
- how to remove folders from This PC in Windows 10
- how to add a custom folder to This PC in Windows 10
Let's see how to do both.
The folders mentioned above are just links to the folders located in your user profile. Microsoft only provided quick access to them. This is very convenient, because you have 1-click access to these folders when you open File Explorer using the Win+E hotkey.
Not every desktop app uses the newer Open File dialog with the navigation pane and Favorites so having these folders in This PC is good. Many desktop apps still use the older Open dialog, which has Recent places and opens in the Computer/This PC location by default.
To customize these folders, you need ActiveX manipulation and some other tricks which aren't easy for the average user. Recently, I made a freeware, This PC Tweaker, which allows you to customize the This PC folder without Registry editing. This app was created for Windows 8.1, but now I have updated it to support Windows 10.
This PC Tweaker allows you now:
- to add any folder to the This PC Folder
- to remove any folder from This PC
- to change the icon for any folder in This PC
- to add some shell location like God Mode or Recycle Bin inside the This PC Folder.
Note that you cannot change the icon of special shell locations added to This PC. You can only change the icons of custom folders you add yourselves. I designed it this way intentionally to prevent you from breaking folders like Control Panel.
Follow the simple instructions below to customize your This PC folder.
How to add a custom folder into This PC in Windows 10
- Download This PC Tweaker. It is a free portable app and requires no installation.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file you have downloaded and choose the appropriate version for your PC. This PC Tweaker works with Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Also, there are different versions for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows (see how to determine which version of Windows you are running).
- Run the ThisPCTweaker.exe file. The application's main window will appear on the screen.
- Click the "Add Custom Folder" button. The Select Folder dialog will appear. Click on the folder that you would like to see in This PC. For example, let's add the folder C:\Data:
- Click the Select Folder button, and the folder you selected will be added to This PC.
- Let's set some icon for the folder we just added. Select it in the list and click the "Change Icon" button.
- That's it. Close the Explorer window and open it again to see the changes:
- You can also make the folder you added visible in the navigation pane. Select it in This PC Tweaker and tick the checkbox "Show in the navigation pane".
Also, you can add some shell locations to This PC (see the most comprehensive list of shell locations in Windows 8) if you are not familiar with them). There is a special button called "Add Shell Location". Click on it and pick some useful shell location to be added in This PC:
How to remove folders from This PC in Windows 10
Click the Remove Selected button. The selected folders will be removed from This PC:
That's it. If you have any questions, suggestions or if you found a bug in this app, leave a comment. I hope you enjoy This PC Tweaker. I worked hard to develop it so it is easy for you to customize This PC. If you like my app, a donation will be appreciated.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!