Yesterday, Mozilla made available a new Firefox version to stable version users. Firefox 95 is a minor release with mostly security and privacy improvements. Here are the key changes in this release.
If you haven't disabled updates, you should receive the updated version of the browser automatically. Otherwise, you can download Firefox 95 using one of the following options.
- Download it from the official website
- For alternative downloads, head over the the following link: Download Firefox 95.
The latter link opens the file listing, organized into a few subfolders, including win32 for Firefox 32-bit for Windows, win64 - Firefox 64-bit for Windows. There are also mac and Linux builds.
What's new in Firefox 95
According to the official change log, the browser includes the following novelties.
RLBox is a new security feature that extends sandbox capabilities. It isolates subcomponents to make the browser more secure. RLBox has beeen created by Mozilla in collaboration with a research team from University of California San Diego and the University of Texas.
In Firefox 95, RLBox secures the Graphite, Hunspell, and Ogg modules on all supported platforms. But in the next version, Firefox 96, Mozilla will expand it to the Expat and Woff2 modules. RLBox uses WebAssembly to isolate potentially-buggy code. More details here.
Firefox on Microsoft Store
Firefox 95 is the first official update to the browser redistributed via the Microsoft Store. We recently wrote that the browser can be installed on Windows 11 and Windows 10 using the built-in Store app. Those who did that can now use Store as the default channel for browser updates.
- Reduced CPU usage on macOS in Firefox and WindowServer during event processing.
- Reduced the power usage of software decoded video on macOS, especially in fullscreen. This includes streaming sites such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
- You can now move the Picture-in-Picture toggle button to the opposite side of the video. The appropriate option is in the PiP context menu.
- There is a fix for the web version of Slack that finally allows using calls and other media feature.
- Various security fixes.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!