Firefox 88 is already here, and you can download this new version of the popular browser. In a few hours the update will be rolled out to existing app users. The release is relatively minor. It includes mostly general improvements and security fixes. There are also a few notable visual changes.
What's new in Firefox 88
Firefox 88 is the first version of the browser in which FTP support is disabled by default. You can re-enable it by setting the
network.ftp.enabled option to
true in about:config. However, keep in mind that FTP support will be completely removed from Firefox in version 90.
Another change is the Take Screenshot page action that is no longer available on the address bar menu. However, the screenshot functionality is not removed. You can add the "screenshot" button to the toolbar, or quickly capture it from the page context menu. See
Mozilla has already started testing the page isolation feature in Firefox 88. The Window.name JS property data is now only accessible to the website where the child window was created on. This will prevent ad networks and other scripts from abusing the property for user tracking.
- Screen readers won't access hidden elements on the page.
- Firefox won't ask for mic and webcam access permissions within 50 secs if you have granted it for the current web site.
- Added support for localized print margins.
- Smooth zooming using a touchpad is now also supported on Linux under Wayland.
Also note that the next major version, Firefox 89, has been postponed by two weeks and is now dated May 31, 21. The reason is that the Firefox team has more time to devote to the new Proton design.
You can download Firefox 88 from its official web site.
Alternatively, visit the following link:
You will see a number of folders. Click on one of the following folders:
- win32 - Firefox 32-bit for Windows
- win64 - Firefox 64-bit for Windows
- linux-i686 - Firefox for 32-bit Linux
- linux-x86_64 - Firefox for 64-bit Linux
- mac - Firefox for macOS
Each folder has subfolders organized by the browser's language. Click on the desired language and download the installer.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: