How to Enable or Disable Bluetooth Absolute Volume in Windows 10
Windows 10 includes a special audio feature, Absolute Volume, that allows the volume slider to precisely control the local volume of your Bluetooth speakers (or headphones) connected to your computer. It is available starting in Windows 10 version 1803 'April 2018 Update'.
Microsoft is constantly improving the Bluetooth stack in Windows 10. For example, version 2004 of Windows 10 has got Bluetooth 5.1 certification, bringing all improvements of the latest stack version to users' hands. Also, Windows 10 is expected to get Bluetooth 5.2 features support in pre-release Insider Preview builds, to be included in the feature update coming after 20H1.
Absolute Volume is a useful feature. However, for certain Bluetooth devices it may prevent you from adjusting volume for the left and right channels individually. Once you change the volume level for one of the speakers, the volume level of the other one also changes automatically.
In this case, you may want to disable it. This can be done with a Registry tweak. Before proceeding, ensure that your user account has administrative privileges. Now, follow the instructions below.
To Enable or Disable Bluetooth Absolute Volume in Windows 10,
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
- On the right, modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAbsoluteVolume.
Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
- Set its value to 1 in to disable the Absolute Volume feature.
- Set its value to 0 in to enable Absolute Volume.
- Restart Windows 10.
To save your time, you can download the following Registry files
The undo tweak is included.
- How To Enable Spatial Sound in Windows 10
- Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10
- Set Audio Output Device For Apps Individually in Windows 10
- Adjust App Sound Individually in Windows 10
- Rename Audio Device In Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options: