Microsoft Edge is the default web browser app in Windows 10. It's a Universal (Store) app which has extension support, a fast rendering engine and a simplified user interface. With Windows 10 version 1809, the browser has got a number of improvements and new features. One of them is the ability to see frequently visited web sites in the Top Sites section of the New Tab page and in the jump list.
Edge got a lot of changes with recent releases of Windows 10. The browser now has extension support, EPUB support, a built-in PDF reader, the ability to export passwords and favorites and a number of other useful functions like the ability to go Full screen with a single key stroke. In Windows 10 Creators Update, Edge got support for tab groups (Set Tabs Aside). In Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the browser has been updated with Fluent Design.
Another great feature of the Microsoft Edge web browser is the ability to print web pages without ads, extra decorations and styles. Check out the following article.
Finally, you can make Microsoft Edge read the contents of a PDF, EPUB file, or a web page using the built-in Read Aloud feature of the browser.
Starting with October 2018 Update, version 1809, you can prevent the frequently visited web sites from being displayed on the New Tab page and in jump lists. Here's how.
To disable Frequent Top Sites in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10, do the following.
- Launch the Edge browser.
- Click the three dots "..." menu button.
- In the Settings pane, click on the Settings item.
- In Settings on the General tab, turn off the option Show sites that I frequently visit in "Top sites".
Alternatively, you can configure this behavior with a Registry tweak.
Using a Registry tweak
- Download the following ZIP archive: Download ZIP archive.
- Extract its contents to any folder. You can place the files directly to the Desktop.
- Unblock the files.
- Double click on the Add_Take_Ownership_context_menu.reg file to merge it.
- To remove the entry from the context menu, use the provided file Remove_Take_Ownership_context_menu.reg.
You are done!
How it works
The Registry files above modify the Registry branch
Tip: See how to go to a Registry key with one click.
The default (unnamed) value there is a 32-bit DWORD value. Its value data can be as follows:
- 0 - The feature is disabled.
- 1 - The feature is enabled.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!