Today, we will see how to export favorites to a file in Edge. Microsoft Edge, the default browser of Windows 10, now allows you to export and import favorites to a file without using third-party tools.
The ability to export and import favorites in Edge was added in Windows 10 Creators Update. You need to be running Windows 10 build 15007 or above to have the ability to import and export bookmarks to a file.
To export favorites to a file in Edge, you need to do the following.
- Launch the Edge browser.
- Click the three dots "..." menu button.
- Click the Settings menu item. Settings will be opened.
- There, you will see the button "Import from another browser".
- Click the button. There, you will see a section named Import or export a file.
- To export Edge favorites to a file, click the "Export to file" button. Then, specify the file name and its location where your favorites will be stored.
- To import Edge favorites from a file, click the button "Import from file", then browse for a file where your favorites file is stored.
Thanks to this improvement, now it is easy to import and export favorites in Microsoft Edge. This was one of the most requested features. In previous releases of Windows 10, you could only import bookmarks from other browsers. The ability to export to a file was missing. The updated Microsoft Edge from Windows 10 Creators Update finally allows importing many different items too.
Edge has been slowly gaining features ever since it debuted in Windows 10 RTM Build 10240. It's a Universal app which has extension support, a fast rendering engine and a simplified user interface. Microsoft released Edge as the successor to Internet Explorer to provide a smoother experience and modern web standards support. While it started as a barebones app, it already got a lot of useful features like extensions, EPUB support, Set Tabs Aside (Tab Groups), Tab Previews, and a dark theme.
Unfortunately, even with these improvements, Microsoft Edge is still not perfect and lacks many features which have become de facto for popular browsers.