The built-in file management tool, File Explorer, comes with a useful Auto Suggestions feature. When enabled, it automatically shows the suggested text that matches the letters you type in the Run dialog, in the address bar and in Open and Save dialogs of apps. It allows you to speed up your work and save your time. Auto Suggestions can be enabled or disabled in File Explorer with a simple Registry tweak in all modern operating systems including Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
The AutoSuggest feature is enabled by default in Windows 10. When you start typing in the Run box or File Explorer address bar, it automatically shows a list of suggested matches from your navigation and command history. You can save your time by selecting a suggestion instead of having to type all of it.
If you find this feature annoying, here's how to disable it.
To disable Auto Suggestions in Run and File Explorer in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following Registry key:
- Here, create a new subkey called AutoComplete.
- Under the AutoComplete key, create a new string value named AutoSuggest. Set its value data to "no" to disable the feature. A value data of "yes" will enable it.
- Sign out from your account and log in back. Alternatively, you can restart the Explorer shell.
You can download ready-to-use Registry files here:
The undo tweak is included.
Alternatively, you can enable the Auto Suggestions feature from Internet Explorer Options. There is an option for File Explorer in the classic Internet Properties applet. Let's see how it can be turned on.
Disable Auto Suggestions with the Control Panel
- Open the classic Control Panel app.
- Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Internet Options.
- The Internet Properties dialog will be opened on the screen.There, switch to the Content tab.
- Click on the Settings button under the AutoComplete section.
- In the next dialog, configure the option Use AutoComplete for. Turn off the desired options.
Note: Windows 10 doesn't save the command and location history when the App Launch Tracking feature is disabled. The Auto Suggestions feature won't work in this case.
- Enable Auto Completion in File Explorer in Windows 10
- Enable Or Disable App Launch Tracking in Windows 10
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!