Google today released Chrome 86, the next version of the popular browser. It includes a number of security improvements. To name one, if a password was compromised, the browser offers a direct 'change password' button.
Google Chrome is the most popular web browser which exists for all major platforms like Windows, Android and Linux. It comes with a powerful rendering engine which supports all modern web standards.
Google Chrome 86 comes with the following highlights.
What's new in Google Chrome 86
- Leaked password checkup on Android: The password monitor feature that was exclusively available on Desktop is now available on Android and iOS. If a password you entered is known to be compromised, the mobile version of the browser will now warn you.
- Directly change a compromised password. If a password is compromised, Chrome will show a button "Change password". For supported web sites, the user will be able to directly change it.
- Google's Safe Browsing service is now enabled in mobile versions of the browser. It will protect the user against phishing, malware, and other dangerous sites using its own database.
- On iOS, the password auto-fill option can now be protected with FaceID.
- For websites opened via the plain HTTP protocol the Autofill feature will be disabled by default. This may potentially prevent your sensitive data leak.
- Executable files and archives are now blocked by default from downloading, and the browser is also shows warning for Microsoft Office documents when you are downloading them.
- The address bar context menu now includes an option to always show full URLs.
- For a small select group of users Chrome will elide everything but the domain in the steady-state. The user involved in testing can bring back the full URL on hover (rather than just on click). The simplified domain display will be restored after interacting with the page.
- For 1% of users, Chrome 86 will come with the FTP feature disabled. Next releases will gradually increase that percent, so with Chrome 88 the FTP support will be removed from the browser.
- A new 'Update available' indicator.
- Performance improvements, more restrictions applied to resource usage by background tabs.
- Also, there are 35 security fixes.
You might be interested in watching the following video:
Note: The offline installer doesn't support the automatic update feature of Chrome. By installing it this way, you will be forced to always update your browser manually.
Winaero greatly relies on your support. You can help the site keep bringing you interesting and useful content and software by using these options:
If you like this article, please share it using the buttons below. It won't take a lot from you, but it will help us grow. Thanks for your support!